1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone recommend some books about statistics physics ?

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    I want to study it myself recently ~but I don't know where to start ?

Can anyone help me ? XD

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2
    We used 'Heat & Thermodynamics' by Dittman/Zeemansky and 'Statistical Mechanics' by Kerson Huang for our Statistical Mechanics I and II courses respectively. The second one is very helpful especially for key topics like ensembles, quantum stat mech, Bose/Fermi gases etc.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like the book Thermal Physics by Schroeder. I learned from Fundamentals of Thermal and Statistical Physics by Reif, which is reasonably good but not nearly as nice to read as Schroeder. I especially like the way Schroeder explains the physics, and makes connections to things you learned in intro classes, including intro chemistry. Schroeder is relatively simple, so if you are studying the subject on your own for the first time, it is the best place I know of to start.

good luck

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook