Can anyone see a better way of solving this?

• Thread starter memoguy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding a non-simultaneous way to solve a problem involving two equations. One person suggests using the law of sines as an alternative method. The other person is unsure how it would solve the problem without involving a simultaneous equation, but eventually realizes that it can be done.
memoguy

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=57710&stc=1&d=1365594222.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just derive two equations and solve simultaneously. It delivers the correct answer of 2933.5m. But it is a bit of a long method, can anyone see an easier way?

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 341
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without seeing your work we can not tell if it can be done simpler.ehild

Sorry, what I mean is; is there any non-simultaneous way to solve this?

There is nothing wrong with your method. You might consider the law of sines for an alternative.

voko said:
There is nothing wrong with your method. You might consider the law of sines for an alternative.

Ok, cool. But that would still involve a simultaneous equation.

memoguy said:

Why is it a problem? It is simple to solve. Show what you did.

Introduce the variable y/x. Or divide the equations with each other.

ehild

memoguy said:

I do not think so.

ehild said:
Why is it a problem? It is simple to solve. Show what you did.

Introduce the variable y/x

ehild
No problem at all. Just that someone I was talking to kept saying that I was over thinking it by solving simultaneous but I just can't see how to get around that.

voko said:
I do not think so.

Ohh! How?

memoguy said:
Ohh! How?

What does the law of sines say?

voko said:
What does the law of sines say?

sin(A)/a=sin(B)/b=...

In your problem you have three points: the point of the first sighing, the second sighting, and the light itself. Let's call them A, B, C.

Can you find the length of AC or BC?

no?

-memoguy

no what?

I am an idiot. I am so sorry, I see it now!

1. What is the scientific method and how does it apply to problem-solving?

The scientific method is a process used by scientists to systematically investigate a problem or question. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This method can be applied to problem-solving by using a systematic approach to identify and test potential solutions.

2. How can creativity be incorporated into problem-solving in science?

Creativity is an important aspect of problem-solving in science as it allows for out-of-the-box thinking and potential solutions. To incorporate creativity, scientists can try brainstorming, using analogies, and approaching the problem from different perspectives. It is also important to keep an open mind and be willing to try new ideas.

3. What role does critical thinking play in problem-solving in science?

Critical thinking is essential in problem-solving in science as it involves analyzing and evaluating information to make informed decisions. It allows scientists to question assumptions, consider alternative explanations, and make logical conclusions based on evidence. Critical thinking also helps to identify flaws or potential biases in experiments and data.

4. How can collaboration and teamwork improve problem-solving in science?

Collaboration and teamwork can greatly improve problem-solving in science by bringing together individuals with different perspectives and expertise. Working as a team allows for the sharing of ideas, pooling of resources and skills, and a more comprehensive approach to problem-solving. It also encourages accountability and can lead to more efficient and effective solutions.

5. How can failure be viewed as a positive aspect of problem-solving in science?

Failure is a natural part of the problem-solving process in science and can provide valuable learning experiences. It allows scientists to identify what doesn't work and adjust their approach accordingly. Failure also encourages perseverance and resilience, qualities that are important in the pursuit of scientific discoveries.