Is there a quicker way to solve this projectile problem?

• Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: Post 7 by @haruspex points out an important feature in the solution of this problem.This is true, and it is what I was trying to explain in my post. The equations of motion are such that it made for a simple linear differential equation when the component is considered. We glossed over this in the subsequent discussion, but it is a key feature in the solution.Thanks for the clarification!
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

viscous.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem and got the correct answer 108 m . But I had to solve a DE . This question is from a test where we get around 1 minute to solve a problem . I took half an hour to solve it :wideeyed: .

It looks like a subjective type problem .

I am just curious as to whether there is a quicker/smarter way to find one of the options .

Attachments

• viscous.jpg
    viscous.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 732
Physics news on Phys.org
What if you considered just the horizontal motion and the viscous force acting on the horizontal component of the velocity? That way, it still needs a differential equation, but only in one dimension. ## \\ ## It's a very simple D.E. that takes at most 2 minutes to solve for ## v(t) ## and then you can integrate ## v(t) ## from ## t=0 ## to ## t=10 ##.## \\ ## Editing: Yes, I get ## s=108 ## m also. ## \\ ## And note: They make it easy by making ## m=1 \, kg ##, so that ## a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{F}{m}=\frac{-.2v}{1}=-.2 v ##. ## \\ ## Question: Is this the D.E. that you used, or did you try to include the vertical motion?

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Charles Link said:
What if you considered just the horizontal motion and the viscous force acting on the horizontal component of the velocity? That way, it still needs a differential equation, but only in one dimension.

I did the same :smile:

Charles Link said:
Is this the D.E. that you used,

Yes !

Likes Charles Link
Jahnavi said:
I did the same :smile:
Yes !
The first time you see that D.E. it might take 15 minutes or more to solve, but that is one that I think I have seen hundreds of times, and it is a simple matter to write: ## \frac{dv}{v}=-\lambda \, dt ## ==>> ## \ln| v|=-\lambda t +C ## so that ## v(t)=v_o e^{- \lambda t} ##. The first several times it probably took me a few minutes or longer...

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
It's a very simple D.E. that takes at most 2 minutes

Charles Link said:
The first time you see that D.E. it might take 15 minutes or more to solve

I can see , you are trying to make me feel better :biggrin: .

Nevertheless , my intent of posting this question was to know if some of the options could be eliminated and correct answer could be chosen without employing calculus .

Jahnavi said:
Nevertheless , my intent of posting this question was to know if some of the options could be eliminated and correct answer could be chosen without employing calculus .
I don't think there is any way besides calculus, but the calculus solution, including the solution of the D.E., and integrating ## v(t) ## is very quick=quick enough that if you spent a minute or two looking for something simpler, I think most likely you would come up empty. I don't see a simpler solution...

Likes Jahnavi
Charles Link said:
What if you considered just the horizontal motion and the viscous force acting on the horizontal component of the velocity?
Fine, but you first have to know or discover that it is ok to treat motion components separately for linear drag. For any other function of velocity, the drag due to the overall motion has to be found, then the component of interest taken.

Likes Jahnavi and Charles Link
@Jahnavi Post 7 by @haruspex points out an important feature in the solution of this problem. The equations of motion ## \vec{F}=m \vec{a}=m \frac{d \vec{v}}{dt}=-mg \hat{z} -.2 \vec{v} ##, (with ## m=1 ##), are such that it made for a simple linear differential equation when the ## \hat{x} ## component is considered. We glossed over this in the subsequent discussion, but it is a key feature in the solution. ## \\ ## e.g. Had the viscous force been of the form ## \vec{F}_v=-Av^2 \frac{\vec{v}}{|\vec{v}|} =-A (v_x^2+v_y^2+v_z^2) \frac{\vec{v}}{|\vec{v}|} ##, (or any other functional form as @haruspex points out), it would have resulted in a non-linear differential equation, and compounding the difficulty, the components would not have separated like they do. Any solution would have been extremely difficult, and there would have been a function of the form ## f(v_x,v_z) ## in the ## \hat{x} ## component of the vector differential equation i.e. ## \frac{d v_x}{dt}=f(v_x,v_z) ##, etc. We would have had "coupled" differential equations instead of a single simple one to solve.

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi and cnh1995
Thanks !

Likes Charles Link

What is a projectile problem?

A projectile problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object that is launched into the air with a specific initial velocity and angle.

Why do people want to solve projectile problems quickly?

People may want to solve projectile problems quickly because they are often time-sensitive, such as in real-life scenarios like sports or engineering projects. Additionally, solving the problem quickly can save time and effort.

What is the traditional method for solving projectile problems?

The traditional method for solving projectile problems involves using the equations of motion, which include the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. This method can be time-consuming and involves multiple steps.

What is the quicker way to solve projectile problems?

The quicker way to solve projectile problems is by using the projectile motion formula, which involves plugging in the initial velocity, angle, and time to calculate the object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration. This method is more efficient and requires fewer steps.

Are there any limitations to using the quicker method for solving projectile problems?

Yes, there are limitations to using the projectile motion formula. It assumes a constant acceleration due to gravity and neglects factors like air resistance. It also may not be suitable for more complex projectile problems that involve multiple angles or initial velocities.