Solving a Problem with an Easier Way: Moving the Origin

• Thread starter ChiralSuperfields
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Origin
In summary, the solution is to calculate the linear charge density at a specific point using the Pythagorean theorem.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1674687875420.png

The solution is
1674687925394.png

However could the bracket circled in red also be ## (x - \frac {L} {2})^{2} ## since the terms are squared? Also if anyone else knows a simpler way to solve this problem please let me know.

I though an easier way to solve this problem would be moving the origin such that it is in the middle of the rod then:

## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {x} ## Then integrate over rod from ## \frac {-L} {2} ## to ## \frac {L} {2} ## to get:

##V = k_e\log_eL ## since ##-In(-L)## is undefined. I guess the authors must of knew this and decided to have the origin at the left of the rod. Anybody else agree with that?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
However could the bracket circled in red also be ## (x - \frac {L} {2})^{2} ## since the terms are squared?
Yes, it is true that ##(L/2-x)^2=(x-L/2)^2.## Check it out for yourself just be expanding the squares algebraically.
Callumnc1 said:
I though an easier way to solve this problem would be moving the origin such that it is in the middle of the rod then:

## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {x} ## Then integrate over rod from ## \frac {-L} {2} ## to ## \frac {L} {2} ## to get:

##V = k_e\log_eL ## since ##-In(-L)## is undefined. I guess the authors must of knew this and decided to have the origin at the left of the rod. Anybody else agree with that?

Many thanks!
I disagree with that. You wrote ## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {x} .## The denominator should be the distance from a point at distance ##x## from the midpoint of the rod to point B on the y-axis. What is that distance according to the Pythagorean theorem?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Yes, it is true that ##(L/2-x)^2=(x-L/2)^2.## Check it out for yourself just be expanding the squares algebraically.
Thank you for your reply @kuruman ! Ahh, I see - expanding is good way to prove that they are indeed equal!

kuruman said:
I disagree with that. You wrote ## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {x} .## The denominator should be the distance from a point at distance ##x## from the midpoint of the rod to point B on the y-axis. What is that distance according to the Pythagorean theorem?
Oh I see my error the denominator should be ## (x^2 + b^2)^{1/2} ## since I am finding the potential at a point above the rod. However, are we allowed to solve this problem this way since they defined the origin to the left of the rod not the middle?

Many thanks!

If the origin is given to you by the problem, it is a good idea not to move it because the expected solution is relative to the given origin.

On edit: See post #6 and sorry for the mess.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
If the origin is given to you by the problem, it is a good idea not to move it because the expected solution is relative to the given origin.
Got it, thank you for your help @kuruman !

Callumnc1 said:
Got it, thank you for your help @kuruman !
Sorry, I take it back. For calculating the electrostatic potential relative to infinity at a specific point, the choice of origin doesn't matter. I was thinking of the electrostatic potential function ##V(x,y,z)##. That is not what this problem is asking.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
kuruman said:
Sorry, I take it back. For calculating the electrostatic potential relative to infinity at a specific point, the choice of origin doesn't matter. I was thinking of the electrostatic potential function ##V(x,y,z)##. That is not what this problem is asking.
Thanks for your reply @kuruman ! I did not know that. However, given that is the case then why cannot not get the same result as the solutions using this integration over the rod

## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##?

Many thanks!

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks for your reply @kuruman ! I did not know that. However, given that is the case then why cannot not get the same result as the solutions using this integration over the rod

## dV = \frac {k_e dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##?

Many thanks!
Because you dropped the x in the numerator.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
Because you dropped the x in the numerator.
Thank you @haruspex ! Looks like I also dropped the alpha too!

## dV = \frac {k_e αx dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##

Which I will try to integrate over the rod.

Many thanks!

What quantity is labeled with ##\alpha## in this problem? There is no mention of it in the OP.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you @haruspex ! Looks like I also dropped the alpha too!

## dV = \frac {k_e αx dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##

Which I will try to integrate over the rod.

Many thanks!
We were not given a complete statement of the problem. we were only given the following, plus the published solution.
1674687875420-png.png

In looking at the solution, it's apparent that linear charge density, ##\lambda##, is not constant, but is linear function, going from ##0## at the left end of the rod, to ##\alpha L## at the right end of the rod. As the rod is pictured, lying along the positive x-axis, with one end at the origin, the charge density is given by: ##\lambda =\alpha x## .

If you move the rod to the left, so that it is centered at the origin, you will need to alter the form of the charge density so that it still goes from ##0## at the left end of the rod, to ##\alpha L## at the right end of the rod. That is to say, ##\lambda## will then be given as:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad \lambda =\alpha\left(x+\dfrac{L}{2}\right)##

Therefore, you will need to integrate the following over the length of the rod.

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad dV =k_e \dfrac { \alpha\left(x+L/2\right) dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
nasu said:
What quantity is labeled with ##\alpha## in this problem? There is no mention of it in the OP.
Thanks for your reply @nasu ! Sorry it was in the problem above

SammyS said:
We were not given a complete statement of the problem. we were only given the following, plus the published solution.
View attachment 321181
In looking at the solution, it's apparent that linear charge density, ##\lambda##, is not constant, but is linear function, going from ##0## at the left end of the rod, to ##\alpha L## at the right end of the rod. As the rod is pictured, lying along the positive x-axis, with one end at the origin, the charge density is given by: ##\lambda =\alpha x## .

If you move the rod to the left, so that it is centered at the origin, you will need to alter the form of the charge density so that it still goes from ##0## at the left end of the rod, to ##\alpha L## at the right end of the rod. That is to say, ##\lambda## will then be given as:

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad \lambda =\alpha\left(x+\dfrac{L}{2}\right)##

Therefore, you will need to integrate the following over the length of the rod.

##\displaystyle \quad\quad\quad dV =k_e \dfrac { \alpha\left(x+L/2\right) dx} {(x^2 + b^2)^{1/2}} ##
Thank you very much for your reply @SammyS , that is very helpful!

kuruman said:
Thank you for your reply @kuruman !

Why does it not matter where we choose to put the origin for calculating the electrostatic potential at a specific point? I understand that the electrostatic potential is calculated relative to zero potential at infinity.

Is that the only reason? I guess it makes sense since no matter where we choose to put the origin, the zero potential will be infinitely far away every time we choose a new origin.

Thank you!

1. How can moving the origin make problem-solving easier?

Moving the origin can make problem-solving easier by allowing us to redefine the coordinates and simplify the mathematical equations involved. This can make it easier to visualize and understand the problem, leading to a more efficient and effective solution.

2. What types of problems can be solved using this method?

This method can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including those involving geometry, physics, and engineering. It can also be applied to real-life situations, such as navigation and mapping.

3. What are the steps involved in moving the origin?

The first step is to identify the current origin and its coordinates. Then, decide on a new origin and determine its coordinates. Next, translate the coordinates of all points and equations to the new origin. Finally, use the new coordinates to solve the problem.

4. Are there any limitations to using this method?

While moving the origin can be a useful problem-solving tool, it may not always be the most efficient or practical solution. In some cases, it may be more complicated or time-consuming to move the origin than to solve the problem using traditional methods.

5. Can this method be applied to problems with more than two dimensions?

Yes, this method can be extended to problems with more than two dimensions. In these cases, the origin is moved to a new point in the higher-dimensional space, and the coordinates are translated accordingly. However, the process may become more complex as the number of dimensions increases.