1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone solve this integral for spring mass oscillation?

1. Feb 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Capture.PNG

So this is the question I need to solve. I was told to directly integrate the bottom equation to solve for x(t). I can solve (1) by differentiating (1) to turn it into 2nd order difffeq (mx''=kx), but I think I'm not allowed to do that ... I have no idea how to solve (2) using direct integration. It looks like a difficult non-linear equation to solve to me. please help me T T
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved (1) by turning into mx''=kx, but I'm not allowed to do that.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Equation (2) is in terms of the two variables x and t. The ideas is to "separate" the two variables so that just the x variable occurs on one side and the t variable on the other, in such a way that the equation "begs" you to integrate both sides.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you! but then how do I integrate 1/(a-b*x^2)^(1/2) dx?

5. Feb 22, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Feb 22, 2016 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted