Can anyone tell me exactly what this represents?

• Thread starter Nerdydude101
  • Start date
In summary, the glass can be both full and empty at the same time, without needing quantum mechanics or superpositioning.
Nerdydude101
I saw this the other day on a physics joke and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what it represents.

(1/√2)*(Ψxy)

(note: the x and y are just the values i put, the original values were labeled full and empty but i presume that has to do with the joke)

Physics news on Phys.org
The greek letter psi is use to express water potential. Hmm... Could it be a relationship for "glass half full/glass half empty" theme?

That was the joke yeah, I read that the Greek letter psi was used in quantum mechanics to describe wave functions and schrodingers superpositioning, I assumed te joke was about superpositioning because it would make the glass both half full and half empty (and so on including the other possible states) and I didn't know if maybe it was used to list all possible states of the glass (or at least the wanted ones under the circumstance for the joke)

Nerdydude101 said:
(1/√2)*(ΨFULLEMPTY)

This version is definitely funny! :tongue:

Nerdydude101 said:
That was the joke yeah, I read that the Greek letter psi was used in quantum mechanics to describe wave functions and schrodingers superpositioning, I assumed te joke was about superpositioning because it would make the glass both half full and half empty (and so on including the other possible states) and I didn't know if maybe it was used to list all possible states of the glass (or at least the wanted ones under the circumstance for the joke)

A glass can be half-full and half-empty at the same time classically without need for QM or superposition. :wink:

Could it refer to someone you can't tell will be optimistic or pessimistic about something until you 'measure' (or offer your own thoughts first)...? Was there more to the joke than just the formula?

EDIT: Just read Ultrafast's post. Obviously the formula says it all. Can someone please explain for me? TIA!

1. What is the significance of this representation?

The significance of a representation can vary depending on its context and purpose. It may represent a physical object, a concept, or data. It is important to understand the intended meaning and use of the representation to fully grasp its significance.

2. How was this representation created?

The creation of a representation can involve a wide range of techniques and tools, depending on its type and purpose. Some common methods include drawing, painting, sculpting, coding, and data visualization. The creator's skills, knowledge, and resources can also influence the creation process.

3. Can this representation be interpreted differently by different people?

Yes, the interpretation of a representation can vary from person to person, as it is influenced by individual perspectives, experiences, and biases. It is important to consider multiple interpretations when analyzing a representation to gain a more comprehensive understanding.

4. How does this representation relate to the real world?

The relationship between a representation and the real world can depend on its purpose and accuracy. Some representations may aim to faithfully depict reality, while others may simplify or abstract it. It is important to critically evaluate the accuracy and limitations of a representation when considering its relation to the real world.

5. What can we learn from this representation?

The potential lessons or insights that can be gained from a representation can vary greatly. It can provide information, evoke emotions, challenge assumptions, or inspire creativity. The interpretation and analysis of a representation can also play a crucial role in determining what can be learned from it.