1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone tell me what this is?

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    I found this piece of equipment in my lab. Based on the age of the science lab, and the equipment it was with, I'm guessing that its from the '60s maybe? Can anyone tell me what it is and was used for? 0127160911.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like it might be for ray tracing through optics. Do you have HeNe lasers in the lab as well?

4. May 17, 2016 #3
    We have a laser, but its much newer. This thing was stored by itself with no instructions or other parts

5. May 17, 2016 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Does it have any vendor name or other labeling on it?

6. May 17, 2016 #5
    Stansi (made in the USA)

7. May 17, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could try contacting Fisher Scientific, which acquired Stansi Scientific, back in '67. I thought it might be an optics item as well because of the shapes that look like converging and diverging lenses.

8. May 17, 2016 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. May 17, 2016 #8
    I tried contacting Fisher a year or so ago, and I got a nice person who was of no help. My best guess was optics-related too. Thank you.

10. May 17, 2016 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted