Can average intelligence thrive in college?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FishmanGeertz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: However, having a high IQ does not necessarily guarantee success in college. It takes hard work, discipline, and determination to excel in any major. Additionally, intelligence only makes up a portion of one's success, with attitude and determination playing a significant role as well.
Physics news on Phys.org
Geezer said:
Or they were legacies, or had tutors in high school, or used medication (e.g. Adderall) to make it through busy high school schedules with large numbers of AP courses, or they cheated/plagiarized, or they simply worked their butts off.

I think too many people put too much focus on IQ or "intellect." A kid with an average or above average IQ but with a strong work ethic can accomplish a lot.

All else being equal a higher IQ person will accomplish more

elfboy said:
All else being equal a higher IQ person will accomplish more

But of course all else is never equal. :smile:

People with IQ's below 100 might struggle throughout their K1-K12 career, and especially in college.

College-level coursework is significantly more advanced than anything given to people in high school. How do high-schoolers prepare for such a rigorously advanced curriculum?

I think of it like I would a step function...
The probability of achieving goals goes rises as iq increases up until around 120 where the probability of achieving goals remains the same for iq increasing to infinity.

Leptos said:
I think of it like I would a step function...
The probability of achieving goals goes rises as iq increases up until around 120 where the probability of achieving goals remains the same for iq increasing to infinity.

Ditto.