What are my chances for math grad schools?

In summary, a senior applying to PhD programs in math has a strong academic background with a high GPA, impressive course selection, and a high score on the Math Subject GRE. They also have research experience and have received awards and accolades in math. They have applied to highly competitive schools and are considering applying to safety schools as well. The conversation ends with a suggestion to consider applying to Pitt/CMU and the importance of having safety schools in the application process.
zyxw
I am a senior who is applying to PhD programs in math. I am almost done with the applications, but should I apply to more schools?

Undergraduate Institution: One the top state schools (ranked top 10 in math)

Overall GPA: 3.88
Math GPA: 3.95

Courses: I have taken graduate level algebra, topology, commutative algebra, real/complex analysis, functional analysis, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, algebraic number theory, analytic number theory

Math Subject GRE: 820/86%

General GRE scores: 168/156/4.0

Research/Publications:

-REU at William and Mary, which resulted in a paper that was recently published in Finite Fields and Their Applications

- REU at Williams College (SMALL), we just recently submitted a paper for publication

-Research with one of the professors in my school; we have gotten some good results but have not written a paper yet

Other awards:

- Putnam score of 50 (top 200)
- I received the annual undergrad algebra award from our math department
- IMC Third Prize
- 2nd place in the annual math competition at my school

I have applied to:
-Harvard
-Princeton
-Stanford
-MIT
-UC Berkeley
-UCLA
-Columbia
-UChicago
-Northwestern
-Brown
-Wisconsin
-Yale
-Cornell

I am a little worried now because all of the schools that I have applied to are really competitive. Should I apply to a couple of safety schools? Will I be able to transfer to one of the schools listed above if I attend some other school?

Physics news on Phys.org
keep applying places if you can afford it, check out Pitt/CMU. It's def a good to apply to some safety schools that you would care to attend -- even if it was for all of grad school, or just for a masters.

Are those typos in your General GRE scores?

1. What is the average acceptance rate for math grad schools?

The average acceptance rate for math grad schools varies depending on the specific program and university. However, on average, the acceptance rate for math grad schools is around 30-40%. This means that for every 100 applicants, approximately 30-40 are accepted.

2. What factors influence my chances of getting into a math grad school?

There are several factors that can influence your chances of getting into a math grad school. These include your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, GRE scores, research experience, and personal statement. It is important to have a strong overall application to increase your chances of acceptance.

3. How important are GRE scores for math grad school admissions?

GRE scores are an important factor in math grad school admissions, but they are not the only factor. Many universities also consider your undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience. However, having a high GRE score can strengthen your application and make you a more competitive candidate.

4. Is it necessary to have a math undergraduate degree to be accepted into a math grad school?

While having a math undergraduate degree can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to be accepted into a math grad school. Many programs have a diverse range of backgrounds among their admitted students, including those with degrees in related fields such as physics or engineering. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and relevant coursework to be competitive for a math grad program.

5. Are there any tips for increasing my chances of getting into a math grad school?

To increase your chances of getting into a math grad school, it is important to have a strong overall application. This includes having a high undergraduate GPA, strong letters of recommendation, and relevant research experience. Additionally, it can be helpful to reach out to current students or faculty members at the programs you are interested in to learn more about the application process and what they are looking for in potential candidates.