1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are my chances for math grad schools?

Tags:
  1. Dec 20, 2011 #1
    I am a senior who is applying to PhD programs in math. I am almost done with the applications, but should I apply to more schools?

Undergraduate Institution: One the top state schools (ranked top 10 in math)

Overall GPA: 3.88
    Math GPA: 3.95

Courses: I have taken graduate level algebra, topology, commutative algebra, real/complex analysis, functional analysis, algebraic geometry, algebraic topology, algebraic number theory, analytic number theory

Math Subject GRE: 820/86%

General GRE scores: 168/156/4.0

Research/Publications:

-REU at William and Mary, which resulted in a paper that was recently published in Finite Fields and Their Applications

- REU at Williams College (SMALL), we just recently submitted a paper for publication

-Research with one of the professors in my school; we have gotten some good results but have not written a paper yet

Other awards:

- Putnam score of 50 (top 200)
    - I received the annual undergrad algebra award from our math department
    - IMC Third Prize
    - 2nd place in the annual math competition at my school

I have applied to:
    -Harvard
    -Princeton
    -Stanford
    -MIT
    -UC Berkeley
    -UCLA
    -Columbia
    -UChicago
    -Northwestern
    -Brown
    -Wisconsin
    -Yale
    -Cornell

I am a little worried now because all of the schools that I have applied to are really competitive. Should I apply to a couple of safety schools? Will I be able to transfer to one of the schools listed above if I attend some other school?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2011 #2
    keep applying places if you can afford it, check out Pitt/CMU. It's def a good to apply to some safety schools that you would care to attend -- even if it was for all of grad school, or just for a masters.

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Are those typos in your General GRE scores?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook