Can Bicycling Cause Neck Pain and How Can It Be Alleviated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 7K views
Interesting! :bugeye: :bugeye:
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Amsterdam is a flat city with narrow streets. A lot of bicycles are an old model without gears. That is okay, since they are not climbing steep hills all the time. My other point is, bicycling is almost a necessity rather than a choice -- many inner city streets are too narrow for one car to drive through, never mind two cars in opposite lanes.
 
Monique, are those photos taken from outside Centraal Station? I think I took the very same picture when I was there!


Edit: Have now read your previous post!
 
Amount of energy consumed by a highly-efficient (50 mpg) automobile over a 15 mile trip:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+)+*+(50/15)+in+joules+per+gallon&btnG=Search

Amount of energy consumed by my body on my 15 mile bike commute this morning, at 70% V02max, according to my heart-rate monitor:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=900+kilocalories&btnG=Search

The ratio? The car burns 120 times more energy than my body. Give me a break, loseyourname. While it's true that gasoline is certainly cheaper per joule than pasta, you're just lying to rationalize your own laziness and car-centric mindset. Try riding a bike a time or two; I'll bet you'll like it.

- Warren
 
Enuma,

The answer is fit. As has been said, nearly all bicycle-related pains are due to improper fit. Get a new bike, and have it professionally fit to you.

- Warren
 
brewnog said:
Monique, are those photos taken from outside Centraal Station? I think I took the very same picture when I was there!
That makes three of us. :wink:
 
Wow those pics are crazy. How do you know where you put your bike?

As for bike pains, beats me. I rode street, in the sense of at a skatepark on a 20" bike doing tricks for ~4 years and my neck and back are not in very good condition, and I am only 19 :cry:

As for transportation. I ride a bike to the "rapid" bus here that goes almost directly to the university. Only about a 8 minute bike ride there and 10 minute bike ride back. Seems like good exercise on the way back, slow steady up-hill, especially when going against the wind. Fun ride to the bus stop though, almost all down-hill :smile:
 
I live off of campus in lincoln NE and my bike ride takes about 11 minutes to and 15 minutes from class. A car would take about 12 minutes plus the time to get from your parking to your class (about 6-7 minutes) so technically the bike is faster. I have a fast and expensive bike however, and I brake a few traffic laws by not using cross-walks. I saved about $300 on a parking permit plus the cost of gas and regular maintenance. In certain situations, biking is faster and much less costly. I will however say that I am consuming literally 1000 extra calories a day.

Also, take a look at this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/24/obesity.oregon.ap/index.html

Oregon is the only state this year that hasnt gotten more obese.

Basically, biking has improved my cardio, saved me money, and saved me time; unfortunately it keeps me from gaining any weight on my 150 lb frame
 
Last edited by a moderator: