Can Calculus of Variations Prove the Path of Least Resistance for Current Flow?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
sodaboy7
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Current follows the path of least resistance or shortest path. I just want to prove this or rather reproduce it using calculus of variations. I just want to show it in a fancy way. I want help to form the FUNCTIONAL for it.
Useful equations:
I=dq/dt=nqvA
R=rho*l/A
Where v is drift velocity

Any suggestion (may be using different equations and parameters)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The current does not actually take the path of least resistance. It takes all available paths. In general:

[tex]J = \sigma E[/tex]

Where J is current density, E is electric field, and σ is the electrical conductivity.
 
It prefers path of least resistance. Or it maximum current follows the path of least resistance upon division at a point.