Can dissolving minerals affect water temperature?

In summary: The reaction can be calmed down a bit if necessary by use of passive additives or by controlling the rate at which the Calcium oxide and water are brought into contact.This is one of the heat generating reactions used in products like self heating soup.Calcium Oxide is commonly called Quicklime.The CaO reacts with water beyond simple dissolution.
RICKYtan
Are there any type of minerals/molecules/elements even solids that when dissolved, in say a glass of room temp water, can raise or lower the temperature? Examples...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Nearly everything, and especially salts, many chemicals will cool the water while getting dissolved. Breaking up the bonds in whatever gets dissolved needs some energy, that energy is taken from heat.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Nearly everything, and especially salts, will cool the water while getting dissolved.

Sorry but no. Many salts (and by many I mean something in a "half" ballpark) have quite a large, negative heat of dissolution. My bet is that you are missing the hydration (or more generally solvation) part - capturing of dipole water molecules by cations and anions. That produces quite a lot of heat, especially when dissolving anhydrous salts.

One well known reaction is Calcium Oxide with water . The uncontrolled reaction is quite violent and large amounts of heat are generated .

The reaction can be calmed down a bit if necessary by use of passive additives or by controlling the rate at which the Calcium oxide and water are brought into contact .

This is one of the heat generating reactions used in products like self heating soup .

Calcium Oxide is commonly called Quicklime .

The CaO reacts with water beyond simple dissolution. The classic heat of solution experiment is to dissolve the series LiCl, NaCl, KCl in water. LiCl dissolution is very exothermic (water gets very hot), NaCl basically leaves temperature unchanged, and KCl dissolution is quite endothermic (water gets very cold, enough to form frost on the reaction vessel even in small demonstrations). The reason, as @Borek mentioned, is the balance of the salt’s lattice energy with the energy gained by forming a solvation shell of water molecules around the ions.

Likes jim mcnamara
Borek said:
Sorry but no. Many salts (and by many I mean something in a "half" ballpark) have quite a large, negative heat of dissolution. My bet is that you are missing the hydration (or more generally solvation) part - capturing of dipole water molecules by cations and anions. That produces quite a lot of heat, especially when dissolving anhydrous salts.
Roughly half? Okay, then I misremembered it. I know about the hydration, but I expected it to be smaller for most salts.

mfb said:
Roughly half? Okay, then I misremembered it. I know about the hydration, but I expected it to be smaller for most salts.
Individual Ion-ion interactions are significantly stronger than the individual ion-dipole interactions in water solutions, but in solution, you have 4-8 waters tightly bound to each ion, and a few dozen more loosely bound to this inner hydration shell structure, so you can pick up energy pretty quickly in these situations.

1. How do dissolved minerals affect water temperature?

Dissolved minerals can affect water temperature in several ways. First, certain minerals, such as salt, can lower the freezing point of water and cause it to remain liquid at lower temperatures. Additionally, dissolved minerals can change the density of water, making it more or less buoyant and affecting its temperature distribution. Finally, some minerals can react exothermically with water, releasing heat and increasing the overall temperature.

2. Can dissolved minerals make water colder?

Yes, certain dissolved minerals can make water colder. As mentioned before, some minerals can lower the freezing point of water, causing it to remain liquid at lower temperatures. This can make the water feel colder to the touch. In addition, certain minerals can also affect the density of water, making it more dense and able to retain colder temperatures.

3. How do dissolved minerals affect the boiling point of water?

Dissolved minerals can raise the boiling point of water, making it take longer to reach its boiling point. This is because the dissolved minerals increase the boiling point of the water due to their effect on the water's vapor pressure. This phenomenon is known as boiling point elevation.

4. Can dissolved minerals affect the overall temperature of a body of water?

Yes, dissolved minerals can affect the overall temperature of a body of water. The presence of certain minerals can cause the water to absorb or release more heat, leading to an increase or decrease in overall temperature. Additionally, the distribution of dissolved minerals throughout the water can also affect its temperature distribution.

5. How do dissolved minerals affect the temperature of hot springs?

Dissolved minerals play a crucial role in the temperature of hot springs. The minerals present in the water can react exothermically with the surrounding rocks, releasing heat and increasing the temperature of the water. Additionally, the density of the water, which is affected by dissolved minerals, can also affect the temperature distribution within the hot spring.