Can Dropping Glass on the Floor Cause Spalling and Ejection of Particles?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mollyhudson
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Glass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
mollyhudson
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I was at the store today and the clerk helping me dropped a jar of eye cream on the ground a few feet away from me. It was quite shattered. I could hear the glass continue to travel outward along the floor (and see the fallout when I looked down), but I'm wondering if the force of the fall/break could send the glass upward as well. In other words, could the glass pieces be propelled upward and over to have landed on my jeans, jacket, etc.? Thank you for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The cream most likely would keep that from happening.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are digging for dirt to use in a lawsuit.

Yes, particles can be ejected upward when glass breaks. How many, how tiny and how far up are difficult questions to answer, but my guess is not enough to make a case for your injury in a lawsuit. Look at this slow motion video.

Vanadium 50 said:
The cream most likely would keep thast from happening.
There can be spalling from the outside surface that ejects particles that never contacted the cream.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Oh, I can assure you litigation never crossed my mind! Even when I've been in bonafide car accidents that have caused injury and not been my fault, I haven't asked for a dime. Rather, I have OCD and tend to obsess/panic/worry over things like this. Broken glass in particular is a big trigger for me. I'm trying to use logic, reason, and science to get myself to calm down and thought you all might be able to lend an expert opinion. Thanks!
 
mollyhudson said:
Oh, I can assure you litigation never crossed my mind! Even when I've been in bonafide car accidents that have caused injury and not been my fault, I haven't asked for a dime.
Thanks for clarifying that, and Welcome to the PF.

I'm glad that you weren't hurt by flying glass, and your clothes were not stained. Must have made a mess! :smile:
 
anorlunda said:
There can be spalling from the outside surface that ejects particles that never contacted the cream.

There can. Nonetheless there is a huge difference in behavior between an empty jar, a jar full of water, and a jar full of cream or peanut butter. I know this through experiment. :smile: