Can Earth's Magnetism Be Harnessed for Aircraft Lift?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
dcolemanroush
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello,
I have an idea i have been working on for some time. I am a meteorologist and pilot, and i love aviation, especially design. I have been playing with the idea of magnetic lift (as in when one magnet is repelled from another magnet) or electromagnetism in an engine, to create a different form of lift for an aircraft, and a more efficient engine. But what i have been thinking about recently is the magnetosphere and the magnetism of the earth. Unfortunately i know very little about both subjects. My question then, is can the magnetism in or around the Earth be used to create any sort of lift? or has it been tried before?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I won't bother with it. It is much too weak to matter for an aircraft lift.
 
The Earth's magnetic flux density ranges from 25 to 65 microtesla.
So as nasu said, it's a very weak field.
 
Last edited: