Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can empty space or emptiness conceive a form from which matter arise?

1. Nov 6, 2008 #1
    Can empty space or emptiness conceive a form from which matter arise?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Re: Creation

I don't think this is a scientific question. In fact, I'm not even sure it's a question.
  4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

It's not a question. It's an anti-question. The answer is 42.
  5. Nov 7, 2008 #4

You seem to be asking if nothing can do something, a common question.

The answer is no. Why not? Because "nothing" is the word we use to represent what is of no significance. It is by definition that "nothing" cannot do anything. If we asserted that nothing can in fact matter, that it can have some effect or be the source of anything, then we would need to invent another word to represent what truly cannot have any effect and cannot be the source of anything, say "nothingatall". That would not prevent someone else somewhere to still ask if nothingatall can do something...

Now, if you were not really talking about "nothing" but if what you described as "empty space or emptiness" is something different than nothing, then you will need to define what it is before the question can be addressed.
  6. Nov 7, 2008 #5

It is a scientific question if it relates to the big bang. The universe is ever evolving but from another point of view the total energy is always constant and the total momentum is constant. The difficulty comes when we try to picture a time before the big bang. Was there "nothing" before the big bang and was "something" created out of nothing during the big bang or has the total energy of the universe (before and after the big bang) always been constant?

This is a serious scientific question and many scientists have been working on it over the years. It should not be lightly dismissed. It is also has very deep philosophical implications.
  7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

If time is just a by-product of our physical universe, then anything that happens instantaneously (quantum non-locality) is in a sense happening outside the box, or outside our reality. So while one cannot know that there is something else more fundamental which exists outside our physical universe; i think there is observable phenomenom which indicates it is possible. And whatever the nature of this extra-universal thingy (one might call it a platonic realm); its not constrained by our sense of time hence it may be in an infinite state. So while infinity does not exist in our universe, it may do outside it. So one might ask whether a BB or BH singularity actually exists in our universe, our does it actually represent this unknowable infinite and platonic realm?

So going back to the OP : "Can empty space or emptiness conceive a form from which matter arise? "

I associate your idea of emptiness with my belief in an infinite platonic realm, so i certainly think something can appear out of nothing, but it did not really happen out of nothing. But because its source is not in range of our reality and timeframe then we cannot know it to be true for certain. Scientists stop at the singularity, no doubt FAPP>
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?