Can freelancing lead to success without traditional job experience?

• Other
  • Thread starter KamenRiderTorbjorn
  • Start date
In summary: I also traveled a lot and had a ball. I still do a bit of freelance work now and then.In summary, you may be able to find freelance work, but it will be harder than it was a few years ago.
KamenRiderTorbjorn
I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job. At this point do I have a chance going on a website like Upwork or any other freelance website for that matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job.
You need to check the law in your state:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-laws-use-arrests-convictions-employment.html

In my state if an arrest is expunged then an potential employee is supposed to answer “no” to questions about arrests and convictions. And it is illegal for the employer to asked about expunged incidents.

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Here we go again.

Two years ago, you asked a very similar question. You got some good advice - "Talk to a lawyer"
Half a year ago, you asked a very similar question. You got some good advice - "Talk to a lawyer"
And you're back.

You obviously have an answer in mind, and want us to confirm it. So why don't you save us all some time and effort and tell us what it is you want to hear.

Likes CalcNerd, russ_watters and Bandersnatch
What I want to hear is the truth. I really truly believe I can't get a tech job now regardless of this.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
What I want to hear is the truth. I really truly believe I can't get a tech job now regardless of this.
Truly, I don’t think it would stop you in most states or most jobs. I think your belief is not founded in reality

Likes berkeman
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job. At this point do I have a chance going on a website like Upwork or any other freelance website for that matter?
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
Check with your local courts to be sure that it was fully expunged. If so, that's not a consideration anymore.

On the freelance question -- consulting/freelance agencies want folks with experience. I've worked some consulting jobs through agencies in the past, and they match your experience to the job request from employers. That is not a way to get entry-level jobs, IMO.

Likes russ_watters and symbolipoint
I have done a lot of freelance work as a physicist and enjoyed it greatly. The job that got me started was from an old friend while I was living primitive in the Maine woods. I solved their problem quickly and came back a few times and they offered me a very good position. When that company was bought out (and moved) I hung out my shingle again. I had enough contacts by then to stay busy without much worry and now I get Social Security and the other fruits. You got to be good at what you do and you have to be willing to be the scapegoat when it is useful. I learned a lot and met many good folks.

Likes CalcNerd and fluidistic

1. What are the benefits of freelancing?

Some of the benefits of freelancing include flexibility in schedule and location, the ability to choose your own projects and clients, and potentially higher earning potential.

2. Is freelancing a stable career choice?

The stability of freelancing depends on the individual and their ability to consistently find and secure projects. It may also depend on the industry and demand for their services. Freelancing can provide a stable income if managed properly, but it may also have its ups and downs.

3. What skills are needed for freelancing?

The specific skills needed for freelancing will depend on the type of work you are pursuing. However, some important skills include time management, self-motivation, communication, and organization. It is also important to have a strong portfolio or resume to showcase your work to potential clients.

4. How do I find freelancing opportunities?

There are a few ways to find freelancing opportunities. You can network with other professionals in your field, use online platforms or job boards specifically for freelancers, or reach out to businesses or individuals directly to offer your services. It may also be helpful to have a strong online presence and market yourself through social media and a personal website.

5. What are the potential challenges of freelancing?

Some potential challenges of freelancing include irregular income, lack of benefits such as healthcare or paid time off, and the responsibility of managing your own taxes and finances. It can also be challenging to find and maintain a steady stream of work, and there may be some difficulties with client communication and expectations.