Can freelancing lead to success without traditional job experience?

  • Topic: Other 
  • Thread starter Thread starter KamenRiderTorbjorn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
KamenRiderTorbjorn
Messages
71
Reaction score
8
I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job. At this point do I have a chance going on a website like Upwork or any other freelance website for that matter?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job.
You need to check the law in your state:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-laws-use-arrests-convictions-employment.html

In my state if an arrest is expunged then an potential employee is supposed to answer “no” to questions about arrests and convictions. And it is illegal for the employer to asked about expunged incidents.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and berkeman
Here we go again.

Two years ago, you asked a very similar question. You got some good advice - "Talk to a lawyer"
Half a year ago, you asked a very similar question. You got some good advice - "Talk to a lawyer"
And you're back.

You obviously have an answer in mind, and want us to confirm it. So why don't you save us all some time and effort and tell us what it is you want to hear.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd, russ_watters and Bandersnatch
What I want to hear is the truth. I really truly believe I can't get a tech job now regardless of this.
 
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
What I want to hear is the truth. I really truly believe I can't get a tech job now regardless of this.
Truly, I don’t think it would stop you in most states or most jobs. I think your belief is not founded in reality
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I have no job or no work experience. A few years ago I got arrested for a misdemeanor and even though I wasn't convicted and it was expunged I still think I won't be able to get a programmer job. At this point do I have a chance going on a website like Upwork or any other freelance website for that matter?
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
What I want to hear is the truth. I really truly believe I can't get a tech job now regardless of this.
Check with your local courts to be sure that it was fully expunged. If so, that's not a consideration anymore.

On the freelance question -- consulting/freelance agencies want folks with experience. I've worked some consulting jobs through agencies in the past, and they match your experience to the job request from employers. That is not a way to get entry-level jobs, IMO.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters and symbolipoint
I have done a lot of freelance work as a physicist and enjoyed it greatly. The job that got me started was from an old friend while I was living primitive in the Maine woods. I solved their problem quickly and came back a few times and they offered me a very good position. When that company was bought out (and moved) I hung out my shingle again. I had enough contacts by then to stay busy without much worry and now I get Social Security and the other fruits. You got to be good at what you do and you have to be willing to be the scapegoat when it is useful. I learned a lot and met many good folks.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd and fluidistic