Can I still be a software engineer?

In summary: A small company who runs a handful of webservers doesn't give a crap. You have to pay to have a background check done, so most employers don't bother. I've hired about a dozen people for companies between 5 and 50 employees and I never once saw a background check done for an engineer.In summary, the individual is currently enrolled in junior college and has a desire to major in computer science and become a software engineer. They are concerned about a past misdemeanor charge, which was later expunged, affecting their chances of working in the IT/software industry. However, it is unlikely that this would have a significant impact on job applications, especially since the record has been expunged. The only exception may
KamenRiderTorbjorn
I'm currently at a junior college and want to major in computer science and want to be a software engineer. The issue is that I got arrested for a misdemeanor a couple of years ago and even though I didn't get prosecuted nor convicted and I got it expunged does it affect my chances of working in IT/Software?

Last edited:
Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the alleged crime, it most likely would not have affected your job applications. Especially since you have had it expunged, I don't think you need to disclose anything about it on your job applications.

berkeman said:
Depending on the alleged crime, it most likely would not have affected your job applications. Especially since you have had it expunged, I don't think you need to disclose anything about it on your job applications.
What if the charge later got dropped do it still matter then? I just want to know if I have a chance or not. And I really believe I don't.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I appreciate this, but this is a little unhelpful.
Why? It seems like the crux of the issue is the expungement, and what it does.

The only exception I can think of is if you need to apply for Secret Clearance for a job. I'm not sure that expungement and sealing of court records works for Secret Clearance investigations.

If you're still worried, I'd recommend talking to a lawyer. Did you have a lawyer during the proceedings? If so, just contact them again.

berkeman said:
Why? It seems like the crux of the issue is the expungement, and what it does.

The only exception I can think of is if you need to apply for Secret Clearance for a job. I'm not sure that expungement and sealing of court records works for Secret Clearance investigations.

If you're still worried, I'd recommend talking to a lawyer. Did you have a lawyer during the proceedings? If so, just contact them again.
I did a diversion program and that was actually how my record got expunged. As far as having a lawyer I didn't have one as there were no proceedings. I ran a background check on myself as it was only a arrest that happened and not a conviction and nothing showed up, but that still doesn't matter.

I'm not entirely sure how this would affect you. Software hires tend to be a simple background and credit check. We're basically making sure you don't have any arrests for things relevant to your job. If you weren't arrested hacking into the FBI, you're probably going to be okay. Nobody cares if you got caught smoking weed or drinking underage. The people who do the hiring went to college too. We partied just as hard when we were 21.

Source: I am a software engineer, and have also done hiring.

Likes donpacino and berkeman
newjerseyrunner said:
I'm not entirely sure how this would affect you. Software hires tend to be a simple background and credit check. We're basically making sure you don't have any arrests for things relevant to your job. If you weren't arrested hacking into the FBI, you're probably going to be okay. Nobody cares if you got caught smoking weed or drinking underage. The people who do the hiring went to college too. We partied just as hard when we were 21.

Source: I am a software engineer, and have also done hiring.
I got charged when I was 20 and it wasn't work related, but I didn't believe anybody would give it a second thought. This is something I actually want to do. I could understand if I was applying to burger king or something dead end, but I have a hard time believing I can just get a software job when I have a record regardless if it got expunged.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I got charged when I was 20 and it wasn't work related, but I didn't believe anybody would give it a second thought. This is something I actually want to do. I could understand if I was applying to burger king or something dead end, but I have a hard time believing I can just get a software job when I have a record regardless if it got expunged.
Most employers really don't care. The only places you won't be able to get a job are places like Lockheed, AT&T, DARPA... A small company who runs a handful of webservers doesn't give a crap. You have to pay to have a background check done, so most employers don't bother. I've hired about a dozen people for companies between 5 and 50 employees and I never once saw a background check done for an engineer.

newjerseyrunner said:
Most employers really don't care. The only places you won't be able to get a job are places like Lockheed, AT&T, DARPA... A small company who runs a handful of webservers doesn't give a crap. You have to pay to have a background check done, so most employers don't bother. I've hired about a dozen people for companies between 5 and 50 employees and I never once saw a background check done for an engineer.
So I can be a software engineer, but I can never work for a big company basically even if it is private sector? The places you named are basically public government jobs which I'm completely not interested in. I at least want to work for a private sector. To be more specific I'm thinking about working in the auto industry as a software engineer or working overseas for a company like McLaren.

newjerseyrunner said:
Most employers really don't care.
Also, I think that employment forms typically ask if you were ever convicted, particularly of a felony. Each company would have its own employment form, of course, but I think they're interested in knowing whether you were convicted of some crime.

berkeman said:

I am embarrassed to say that stuff like this does ruin lives in Canada.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2014/05/17/i_had_no_idea.html

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/05/17/no_charges_no_trial_but_presumed_guilty.html

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi...mplement-law-on-police-background-checks.html

Likes atyy
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
So I can be a software engineer, but I can never work for a big company basically even if it is private sector? The places you named are basically public government jobs which I'm completely not interested in. I at least want to work for a private sector. To be more specific I'm thinking about working in the auto industry as a software engineer or working overseas for a company like McLaren.
No, you can certainly still work for a big company. You might have difficulty getting into places that require security clearance. The places I mentioned all do contract work for the US government /military. Places like Apple / Microsoft / Google / RockStar / Nuance / Facebook won't care in the slightest. They care about for GPA if you're just out of school and references if you're not.

George Jones said:
I am embarrassed to say that stuff like this does ruin lives in Canada.

One of the reasons that I posted this is that I am upset with policy in my own country. Another reason is that folks from all over the world post on Physics Forums, and they should check what happens in their county in situations like this, because it might not be what they think.

Likes CivilSigma, Choppy and berkeman
newjerseyrunner said:
No, you can certainly still work for a big company. You might have difficulty getting into places that require security clearance. The places I mentioned all do contract work for the US government /military. Places like Apple / Microsoft / Google / RockStar / Nuance / Facebook won't care in the slightest. They care about for GPA if you're just out of school and references if you're not.
Does that mean I can work at companies like McLaren as well?

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
As in the health care company? Yeah, I see no reason you would have trouble. The only way I think they’d care is if your arrest had something to do with identity fraud or something. They may be strict with IT guys though. Developed work in sandboxes where IT works with love customer data. Am I on the rot track that your “crime” was just one of those things that literally everybody does and you just happened to be caught? (Underage drinking, dui, possession of marijuana, jaywalking...)

newjerseyrunner said:
As in the health care company? Yeah, I see no reason you would have trouble. The only way I think they’d care is if your arrest had something to do with identity fraud or something. They may be strict with IT guys though. Developed work in sandboxes where IT works with love customer data. Am I on the rot track that your “crime” was just one of those things that literally everybody does and you just happened to be caught? (Underage drinking, dui, possession of marijuana, jaywalking...)
I mean McLaren the car company. I mentioned it earlier when I was talking about working in the auto industry.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
I mean McLaren the car company. I mentioned it earlier when I was talking about working in the auto industry.
Same, I wouldn't expect them to even do a background check, let alone care about a minor crime from a few years ago. Your resume matters way more than your record.

newjerseyrunner said:
Same, I wouldn't expect them to even do a background check, let alone care about a minor crime from a few years ago. Your resume matters way more than your record.
Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you expect an automobile company like McLaren to do a background check? btw to answer your question my charge was neither drug/alcohol related and it wasn't an assault charge neither.

Last edited:
KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
Just out of curiosity why wouldn't you expect an automobile company like McLaren to do a background check? btw to answer your question my was neither drug/alcohol related and it wasn't an assault charge neither.
Money.

Background checks are not free so unless there is need for extra scrutiny, they won't do it. A kid right out of college will not even be given access to any code that's sensitive. If you do manage to get a job their, your most likely job would be working on their servers, websites, or internal tools. None of which are of any risk to the company. From the low level job, you'll either move on or get promoted to more sensitive jobs and once you have a resume and references, those are what's important. I've had plenty of coworkers that I know had records, probably some way worse than you.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:
You could work for defense contractors and even get a security clearance. It depends on what you did, why you did it, all the circumstances, how long ago it was, if you are the same person you were, etc.

With a security clearance for the most part they are checking to see if they can trust you with information. Part of trusting you is honesty (do not lie in any way on those forms). Its your ability to be leveraged (if people have blackmail on you or if you are doing things that may allow people to get blackmail). Its your ability to keep a secret (if you get impaired on a regular basis, you could reveal things). There are other things too.

If you got arrested say last year for theft. What did you steal. why did you steal it. Did you apologize, did you own it, or deny it to the police. Were you rude to the police, etc... Note: that was rhetorical, don't tell me why you were arrested.

KamenRiderTorbjorn said:

Likely they wouldn't ask you if you were arrested, they would ask if you were CHARGED with any felonies.

I know its been awhile since I replied on here, but I asked this question on reddit and they're telling me something different so honestly I don't know what to believe.

Well I'm an actual software engineer where reddit is mostly teenagers.

newjerseyrunner said:
Well I'm an actual software engineer where reddit is mostly teenagers.
Really? I thought reddit was more moderated honestly.

Related to Can I still be a software engineer?

1. Can I still become a software engineer if I didn't study computer science in college?

Yes, you can still become a software engineer even if you didn't study computer science in college. Many successful software engineers come from different educational backgrounds and have learned coding through self-study or coding bootcamps. What's important is having a passion for coding and continuously learning and improving your skills.

2. Is it necessary to have a degree in computer science to become a software engineer?

No, it is not necessary to have a degree in computer science to become a software engineer. While having a degree can provide a strong foundation in computer science principles, there are many successful software engineers who do not have a formal degree. What matters more is having a strong understanding of programming languages, algorithms, and data structures.

3. Can I become a software engineer if I have no prior coding experience?

Yes, you can become a software engineer even if you have no prior coding experience. It may take more time and effort to learn the necessary skills, but with dedication and practice, you can become a proficient coder. Many coding bootcamps and online resources offer beginner-friendly courses to help you get started.

4. Do I need to be a math genius to become a software engineer?

No, you do not need to be a math genius to become a software engineer. While having a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in computer science, it is not a requirement for becoming a software engineer. Basic math skills, such as algebra and logic, are sufficient for most coding tasks.

5. Is it too late for me to become a software engineer if I am already in my 30s or 40s?

No, it is not too late to become a software engineer even if you are in your 30s or 40s. Many successful software engineers started their coding careers later in life and have been able to excel in the field. As long as you have the passion, determination, and willingness to learn, age should not be a barrier to becoming a software engineer.