Can gravity increase on its own?

In summary, The rotation speed of an object does not directly affect the gravitational force between two objects, but can affect the surface gravity of an object.
schiz0ai
Forgive me, for i do not have any degrees in physics.:shy:
If 1 large object like a planet were to orbit near another large planet/moon.
It would in theory be possible for both objects to increase their speed of rotation, as long as they end up rotating in opposite directions right? Of course it would require a lot of energy.
But would that mean that the total amount of gravity of both objects could increase

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sorry, your post looks a bit unclear in which order you want to have what.

You can remove some energy from the system, which reduces the radius between the objects (and therefore reduces the potential energy) and increases their velocity (and kinetic energy). The gravitational force between both increases, as their distance decreases.

What is a "total amount of gravity"?

the amount of gravity a planet has depends on its mass and rotation speed right?

Of course its impossible for a single object to start rotating faster on its own.
But if it does this by makin another object rotate faster in the opposite direction, it should in theory be possible.

Would the gravity of both objects increase at the same time? because their rotation speed increases?

Gravity does not depend on rotational speed. Just look at Newton's gravitational force equation.

russ_watters said:
Gravity does not depend on rotational speed. Just look at Newton's gravitational force equation.

actually, Russ, if we get relativistic here, wouldn't the effective mass of the planet increase as the energy contained therein increases? and if its effective mass increases, wouldn't the amount of curvature of spacetime increase? perhaps you'ld have to spin the planet so fast that it would fly apart long before there would measurably be any increase of gravity that the planet would effectively "emit".

schiz0ai said:
the amount of gravity a planet has depends on its mass and rotation speed right?
If you use non-standard terms, please define them. What is "the amount of gravity"? The gravitational force on other objects just depends on the mass.
The rotation can become important if the involved velocities are close to the speed of light (or the measurements are extremely precise), but that happens in neutron stars only.

im sorry, i thought gravity depended on rotation speed.
I figured it out after googling some.

schiz0ai said:
im sorry, i thought gravity depended on rotation speed.
I figured it out after googling some.

In Newtonian mechanics, surface gravity does depend on rotational speed (some of the gravitational force of the Earth's mass is canceled out by the acceleration generated by the rotation of the Earth) but it does not affect the gravitational force between two particles, ie, the Earth and the Sun.

1. Can gravity increase on its own?

According to the laws of physics, gravity is a fundamental force that is always present. It cannot increase or decrease on its own.

2. Is gravity affected by the mass of an object?

Yes, the more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational pull will be. This is why larger objects, such as planets, have a stronger gravitational force than smaller objects.

3. Can gravity change over time?

Gravity is a constant force and does not change over time. However, the effects of gravity may appear to change as objects move and interact with each other.

4. Can gravity increase in specific locations?

The strength of gravity is affected by the distance between two objects. Gravity may appear stronger in certain locations due to the presence of large, massive objects nearby.

5. Can gravity be artificially increased?

Currently, there is no known way to artificially increase gravity. Scientists are still researching and studying the effects of gravity and its potential manipulation in the future.