Can high barometric pressure supplement low gravity?

In summary: 2) with high pressures on Earth, say 100 meters below the surface of the ocean, do you weigh any more than you do near the surface?No, you would weigh the same. The pressure would just cause the water to weigh more.
Gary0509
I was thinking about writing a novel where the setting takes place on a planet with a gravity similar to Mars or even the moon (Luna). My thought was that if the atmosphere was dense enough wouldn't that act in a similar fashion to increased gravity?

def1.gif

Physics news on Phys.org
Gary0509 said:
I was thinking about writing a novel where the setting takes place on a planet with a gravity similar to Mars or even the moon (Luna). My thought was that if the atmosphere was dense enough wouldn't that act in a similar fashion to increased gravity?

def1.gif
Two questions come to mind...

1) with a low gravity, where does the high barometric pressure come from?

2) with high pressures on Earth, say 100 meters below the surface of the ocean, do you weigh any more than you do near the surface?

Gary0509 said:
My thought was that if the atmosphere was dense enough wouldn't that act in a similar fashion to increased gravity?

No it wouldn't. There is effectively a thin layer of air between your feet and the ground. The air in that thin layer is at the same increased pressure and pushes in all directions including upwards. So increasing atmospheric pressure slightly produces no net force on the object/people.

However If you increase air pressure enough to effect the density of the air then you also change the buoyancy effect. For example (taking this to extreme) objects are more likely to float in liquid nitrogen then in gaseous nitrogen. eg the exact opposite effect to what you wanted .

Your idea only works for something like a rubber sucker stuck to a horizontal glass plate. These stick because there is a vacuum or partial vacuum between the sucker and the glass - so the increased air pressure only acts on one side.

Likes Gary0509
If the atmosphere is so dense that it condenses into water (or something more dense than water), then yes you could float.

anorlunda said:
If the atmosphere is so dense that it condenses into water (or something more dense than water), then yes you could float.
But that would be anti-gravity. The OP wants extra gravity :smile:

berkeman said:
But that would be anti-gravity. The OP wants extra gravity :smile:

Whoops, I missed that :nb)

LOL

So because atmospheric pressure is the same on all sides it equalizes. If it was an astronaut's lab that was in a non-terrestrial ocean, the weight of the ocean wouldn't supplement gravity. It would just make it easier to keep it pressurized to Earth standard. If he exits the lab in a space/swimsuit he'd still float or sink based upon the density of the fluid, but the pressure wouldn't alter the effect of gravity.

I think I'm getting this right. Yes?

berkeman said:
1) with a low gravity, where does the high barometric pressure come from?
Seems to be a moot point now since it won't work, but I don't see why a smaller planet couldn't have very high pressure. I'm sure there must be a theoretical limit based on the mass of the planet, but Earth certainly isn't near that limit. Venus is about the same size and has rediculously high pressure. Little Titan has atmospheric pressure on the surface about 1.5 time that of earth.

Likes Gary0509

1. Can high barometric pressure on Earth mimic the effects of low gravity?

While high barometric pressure can create a similar sensation to low gravity, it cannot fully replicate the effects of low gravity. Barometric pressure only affects the pressure on our bodies, while gravity influences many other physical processes such as bone density and muscle strength.

2. Is it possible to create artificial high barometric pressure to simulate low gravity?

Yes, it is possible to create artificial high barometric pressure in a controlled environment such as a space station. However, this would require a lot of resources and technology, and it still cannot fully replicate the effects of low gravity.

3. Can high barometric pressure be used to train for space travel?

While high barometric pressure may help to simulate some of the physiological changes that occur in space, it is not a substitute for actual training in a low gravity environment. Astronauts must still undergo specific training to prepare for the unique conditions of space travel.

4. What are the potential health risks of prolonged exposure to high barometric pressure?

Exposure to high barometric pressure for an extended period can cause a condition known as decompression sickness or "the bends." This can result in symptoms such as joint pain, dizziness, and even paralysis if not treated promptly. Therefore, it is essential to have proper training and safety protocols in place when working in high-pressure environments.

5. How does high barometric pressure affect the human body?

High barometric pressure can cause changes in the body's pressure, which can lead to discomfort and difficulty breathing. It can also impact our body's fluids, causing swelling and discomfort. Additionally, high barometric pressure can affect our mood and cognitive abilities, leading to fatigue and difficulty concentrating.