Can High Velocity Cause Hailstones to Melt?

In summary, it is likely that hailstones would melt upon impact with the Earth's surface due to their high velocity of 824 m/s. However, this is also dependent on the size and composition of the hailstones as well as the surface they are hitting. The majority of the kinetic energy would be absorbed by the ice, making it more likely for the hailstones to melt.
dobbygenius
Homework Statement
by reference to your answer in part (a), suggest whether hailstones are likely to melt on hitting the Earth's surface
Relevant Equations
mL=1/2mv^2
1646979827750.png

I'm pretty sure the hailstones are likely to melt/disperse because 824 m/s is a high velocity but can someone help me elaborate why it would melt?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
dobbygenius said:
Homework Statement:: by reference to your answer in part (a), suggest whether hailstones are likely to melt on hitting the Earth's surface
Relevant Equations:: mL=1/2mv^2I'm pretty sure the hailstones are likely to melt/disperse because 824 m/s is a high velocity but can someone help me elaborate why it would melt?
Do you mean to say the hailstones would melt? Or wouldn't melt?

PS I'm not sure why all the KE would transform to heat in the hailstone. Why wouldn't about half the energy go to heat in the ground at the point of impact?

PeroK said:
Do you mean to say the hailstones would melt? Or wouldn't melt?
yes, the hailstones would melt...but I don't know how to elaborate on that

PeroK said:
PS I'm not sure why all the KE would transform to heat in the hailstone. Why wouldn't about half the energy go to heat in the ground at the point of impact?
You're right I just followed what the question said 🤔

dobbygenius said:
yes, the hailstones would melt...but I don't know how to elaborate on that
With what speed do hailstones hit the Earth?

PeroK said:
With what speed do hailstones hit the Earth?
the first question asked to find the minimum speed for it to melt when it hits the surface and I found it to be 824 m/s but other than that both the first and second question didn't give any more data

dobbygenius said:
the first question asked to find the minimum speed for it to melt when it hits the surface and I found it to be 824 m/s but other than that both the first and second question didn't give any more data
Do you think hailstones hit the ground at ##824 \ m/s## or more? Have you ever seen hailstones?

dobbygenius said:
I'm pretty sure the hailstones are likely to melt/disperse because 824 m/s is a high velocity but can someone help me elaborate why it would melt?
Your reasoning is backwards. If it requires a very high velocity to melt the hailstones then that makes it relatively unlikely that hailstones would melt in practice.
So the question is, is such a high impact speed likely?
PeroK said:
Because most of the inelastic deformation would be in the ice.

haruspex said:
That's a subtle assumption. It depends what the hailstones hit. Large hailstones may damage a car roof, for example, causing inelastic deformation of the metal.

PeroK said:
Do you think hailstones hit the ground at ##824 \ m/s## or more? Have you ever seen hailstones?
No, I just looked it up, should've done it earlier

Likes PeroK
haruspex said:
Your reasoning is backwards. If it requires a very high velocity to melt the hailstones then that makes it relatively unlikely that hailstones would melt in practice.
So the question is, is such a high impact speed likely?

Right...thankyou!

That would be a very noisy hailstorm! Lots and lots of little sonic booms :wink:

• Haha
Likes dobbygenius

Related to Can High Velocity Cause Hailstones to Melt?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity, and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is kinetic energy related to hail stones?

Hail stones have kinetic energy because they are in motion as they fall from the sky. The larger and heavier the hail stone, the more kinetic energy it will have.

3. How is the kinetic energy of hail stones calculated?

The kinetic energy of a hail stone can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the hail stone and v is its velocity.

4. Can the kinetic energy of hail stones cause damage?

Yes, the kinetic energy of hail stones can cause damage when they collide with objects on the ground, such as buildings, cars, and crops. The amount of damage depends on the size and velocity of the hail stones.

5. How does the kinetic energy of hail stones affect their trajectory?

The kinetic energy of hail stones affects their trajectory by determining how far they can travel and how fast they can fall. Hail stones with higher kinetic energy will typically have a more vertical trajectory and fall faster than those with lower kinetic energy.