Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can home users be monitored realtime?

1. May 19, 2007 #1
    As I use my new cable Internet service, can an outsider possibly scrutinize my screen realtime?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your screen? No. Your network traffic? Very possibly.

- Warren
  4. May 19, 2007 #3
    not in realtime but with some latency, one of the vnc's would do the job.
  5. May 19, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: Only if you're dumb enough to be running a VNC server, with no permissions. :rofl:

- Warren
  6. May 19, 2007 #5
    no but if you let someone use your computer and didn't notice you could have an rdp session running, one of many possibility's when people get sneaky :surprised
  7. May 19, 2007 #6
    btw i can't afford mu foil so i actually tried to shield the yoke and gunplexer with aluminum foil for my ghetto tempest protection but forgot why they don't do that, the monitor started arcing and making lightning noises lol.

rofl, i'm going to leave that the way it is haha, i ment rgb gun assembly.
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  8. May 19, 2007 #7
    Do you want someone to or are you concerned someone might break into your computer and watch what you are doing from the internet?

There are possibilities of both, which is why you should have a good firewall, such as Zone Alarm, running to help prevent hackers and trojans (virus-like software that allows hackers to take over your computer very easily) from allowing undesired access. Btw, you can use the "basic Zone Alarm firewall" and it will be just as good as the "Pro" version as a firewall, but will be free.

Now, if you DO want to allow someone to watch your screen, then you would use what is called a "VNC" (Virtual Network Computing) program such as TightVNC. You have to make sure you get one that is compatible with your operating system though. I don't know if TightVNC will work on Windos Vista. I definitely suggest that you put a password to the VNC server though if that's what you're doing.

Well, I hope this helps clarify things for you.
  9. May 20, 2007 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not sure what cable has to do with this?
    VNC would do it, but...

If you have a CRT (TV or Computer) then the claim is yes.
    It is said to be possible to remotely read display EM emissions.
    I don't know if they can use the same methods for LCD.
    But in addition to pure EM methods I've heard about, I found this

Your ISP can always tell what you are doing with their link.
    Not to mention someone with a packet sniffer.
  10. May 20, 2007 #9
    Somewhere in my office I saw a screen with "ghost" cursor movement and typing which imitated those of a remote unit. Now I find it scary that someone would relish my multiple typos and stunted hunt-and-pecking.
  11. May 20, 2007 #10
    lol. It sounds like either a VNC server is set up or the computer is infected with a back door trojan that is allowing someone else to remote control the computer. These things have been around for years now. I used to use backdoor trojans to gain entry into my friend's computers when I was younger. I recommend a full virus scan and the use of installation a good firewall.
  12. May 20, 2007 #11
    Merely management checking up on employees. "Big Bother."
  13. May 25, 2007 #12
    lol, nice.

I would be a pain in the butt then.. When I'd go on break, I'd start a key stroke simulator on my computer that loops a large text file with a bunch of nonsense sentences over and over.. slowly..
  14. Jun 6, 2007 #13
    Yes they could, through either; your computer being infected with a trojan, or like the person said a vnc server running. Having a vnc server running on your computer can be an involuntary event you know! The metasploit framework has a 'vnc DLL inject' payload which can be used against you through just browsing a page (using either a currently known exploit or a 0day one), or having exploitable services open to the internet.

15. Jun 6, 2007 #14
    That stuff is ridiculous, I saw this hilarious scare piece on tv about that one time, they were trying to make it look like this was a credible threat to people's privacy, they had this guy on a crt screen computer sitting right near an open window in an "office" on the 1st floor of a building located on a busy street. Then they put this huge antenna right up next to the window, and they had this guy in a van who was able to pick up a blurry replica of the image on the screen of the computer, it was hilarious because the antenna was less than 10 ft from the computer, and directly in view of the person on the computer.
  16. Jun 6, 2007 #15
    Yeah good old MetaSploit was what I was going to say. A MS 0day vulnerability/exploit or an unpatched system and it could be done easily, when the cursor flaw came out for all Windows systems I gave it a test and it works really well.
  17. Jun 7, 2007 #16

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Van Eck/TEMPEST

Try googling on "van Eck radiation" or "TEMPEST". The latter properly refers to a particular project but has become a general term for a technique which has been used in espionage (for example, I have read that at least one large aircraft manufacturer has used this successfully to steal information from a competitor). See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TEMPEST Despite the silly "demonstration" someone mentioned, this technique is said to be highly effective at ranges of a hundred yards (with a few thousand dollars worth of equipment). Furthermore, I am told that it is not hard to concoct a much more impressive demonstration even with jury-rigged off-the-shelf equipment.

Make of this what you will! :uhh:
  18. Jun 8, 2007 #17
    By shoulder surfing..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?