Screen flickering with Windows 11 Home on new computer

In summary, my wife's old monitor was failing and she decided to buy a new Dell computer with a 1440x900 resolution because the old one supported that resolution. The computer is a minitower and she is using the old VGA monitor through an HDMI adaptor (using HDMI to VGA cable). Occasionally, the monitor screen goes blue and she has to restart the computer. Otherwise, most of the time, the monitor flickers, and when it stops, the images are fuzzy and the print/font is blurred, and she has to restart the computer. The problem is sporadic. All that sounds like bad or intermittent contacts in the adapter. Windows 8 was a disaster but that was 15 years ago (like the thread you linked
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
My wife just bought a new Dell computer because the HD on her old computer went bad.

The computer is a minitower. She is using the old VGA monitor through an HDMI adaptor (using HDMI to VGA cable). Could that be the problem?

Occasionally, the monitor screen goes blue and she has to restart the computer. Otherwise, most of the time, the monitor flickers, and when it stops, the images are fuzzy and the print/font is blurred, and she has to restart the computer. The problem is sporadic.

No Windows update as far as we know.

There seems to be chronic issues with Windows since Windows 8. Updates sometimes have unintended consequences.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/screen-flicker-and-windows-update.215633/
There are other threads found by searching 'flickering' in this forum, or looking at Related threads below.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Could that be the problem?
Yes.
What screen resolution does the monitor support? What resolution are you running at?

Vanadium 50 said:
What screen resolution does the monitor support? What resolution are you running at?
Resolution is 1440x900, which is apparently supported by the monitor. At least that is what the literature and Windows information indicates.

Astronuc said:
Occasionally, the monitor screen goes blue and she has to restart the computer. Otherwise, most of the time, the monitor flickers, and when it stops, the images are fuzzy and the print/font is blurred, and she has to restart the computer. The problem is sporadic.
All that sounds like bad or intermittent contacts in the adapter.

Astronuc said:
The computer is a minitower. She is using the old VGA monitor through an HDMI adaptor (using HDMI to VGA cable).
You're kidding me, can you really not get a new monitor?
Astronuc said:
There seems to be chronic issues with Windows since Windows 8.
Windows 8 was a disaster but that was 15 years ago (like the thread you linked). Likewise you are connecting a new computer to a monitor that also must be about 15 years old, why are you blaming the computer if it doesn't work well? Are you connecting the auxiliary power supply to the adapter?

Astronuc said:
esolution is 1440x900, which is apparently supported by the monitor.
But is it supported by the adapter? It's not a particularly common resolution.

pbuk said:
You're kidding me, can you really not get a new monitor?
The monitor maybe 6 years old. She didn't want to buy a new monitor.

pbuk said:
Windows 8 was a disaster but that was 15 years ago (like the thread you linked). Likewise you are connecting a new computer to a monitor that also must be about 15 years old, why are you blaming the computer if it doesn't work well?
I didn't 'blame' a computer. I was asking what the problem might be, e.g., compatibility between monitor and computer (or rather OS), or the connecting cable or adapter. The old monitor had VGA or DVI options, the new computer just has HDMI or DisplyPort slots, so in order to use the old monitor we had to use an HDMI to VGA adapter cable.

Vanadium 50 said:
But is it supported by the adapter?
I will have to look into. It's my wife's computer, and she likes to do it herself.
Vanadium 50 said:
It's not a particularly common resolution.
I was thinking the same.

If the monitor is a Dell P2016 (just guessing), try the DisplayPort connection rather than going digital to analog and back again.

Only (S)VGA and DVI on the monitor, I'd go for HDMI to DVI (which is digital-digital) as these cables are cheaper than DisplayPort to DVI.

Oops...missed that. So yes, HDMI to DVI is the better option to avoid multiple conversions.

Why is my screen flickering with Windows 11 Home on my new computer?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, including outdated or incompatible drivers, a faulty graphics card, or a software issue. It's important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause to find a solution.

How can I fix screen flickering on my Windows 11 Home computer?

First, try updating your graphics card drivers and running a system update to ensure you have the latest software. If that doesn't work, try adjusting your display settings or running a virus scan. You may also want to consider contacting the manufacturer for further assistance.

Is screen flickering a common issue with Windows 11 Home?

While screen flickering can happen with any operating system, it does seem to be a more prevalent issue with Windows 11 Home. Microsoft is continually working to address and fix these issues with updates, so it's important to keep your system up to date.

Could a hardware issue be causing my screen to flicker with Windows 11 Home?

It's possible that a hardware issue, such as a faulty graphics card or loose connection, could be the cause of your screen flickering. You may want to check your hardware components and consider getting them replaced if necessary.

Can I prevent screen flickering on my Windows 11 Home computer?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent screen flickering, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances. This includes keeping your system updated, avoiding running too many programs at once, and regularly cleaning your computer to prevent dust buildup.