Can I apply as phd with all requirements but without actual degree?

In summary, the individual is currently working on their dissertation and is concerned about completing it before the end of the semester. They believe an additional month would be helpful, but this would delay their degree until August. They are also applying for jobs and are wondering if not having their degree in hand will affect their chances. They are advised to list an expected completion date on their resume and to be aware of potential delays in starting a job before completing their PhD.
pierre9045
I'm scrambling to complete my dissertation before the end of the semester but I'm not sure if I'll make it in time (deadline is May 6th). I feel like if I had an additional month or so I could definitely complete all the requirements (defense, revisions, etc), but then my degree would not be issued until August. At the same time, I've begun applying for jobs and want to find a position in industry in time to start working in July or so. Barring a job in my preferred field, I would likely have to take one or two summer jobs and wouldn't have anymore time to be working on my thesis anyways. The fact of the matter is that I can't afford being just a TA for another summer.

Am I at a serious disadvantage applying for positions without a degree in hand, even if I have all the requirements to graduate? How should I describe it in my resume or cover letter?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's fine to apply to places before you have the PhD awarded. This happens in my field all the time. In your CV you would simply give an expected date of completion rather than the date it was awarded. In my experience employers are willing to extend conditional offers if completion of the degree is imminent. On the other hand, if you're still collecting data or haven't written anything up yet, they're likely to balk. This assumes of course these employers actually care about you having the degree (i.e. post-docs).

Another term that I've seen around is "ABD" which means "all but dissertation" or more colloquially "all but done."

One thing to consider, that I've seen is that people will start a new job (in my field this is usually a residency) after "almost" completing the PhD and then take over a year to do what they thought was only going to be an extra month. Of course, sometimes a good jobs is worth that kind of agony. It's just something to be aware of.

What field are you in? Usually people are applying for jobs well before they actually have their degree in hand. The only problem is if they want you to start before you're finished your requirements. Even if you don't have the actual degree in hand when you start the job, usually a university will issue a letter saying you have earned it and will receive it soon.

Some academic job postings even list "ABD" - All but degree - on their requirements for application. I don't think I saw that on anything when I was applying for postdocs, but I know it was on some job postings for someone looking at academic jobs in some humanities fields.

I'm in physics, and my ideal position would be in R&D in industry. My thesis is on theoretical AMO, so it is primarily computer modeling.

"One thing to consider, that I've seen is that people will start a new job (in my field this is usually a residency) after "almost" completing the PhD and then take over a year to do what they thought was only going to be an extra month. Of course, sometimes a good jobs is worth that kind of agony. It's just something to be aware of. "

That is certainly a concern!

As long as you don't claim to be a Ph.D. when you aren't (yet), I don't think you'll have any problem. "ABD" or "Expected Completion Date: xxx" is all you should need.

1. Can I still apply for a PhD program if I have met all the requirements but do not have an actual degree?

Yes, in some cases, universities and programs may consider applicants who have completed all the necessary coursework and have met other requirements, even if they do not have an actual degree. However, this decision ultimately depends on the specific program and university, so it is important to check their policies and requirements beforehand.

2. What are the possible reasons for not having an actual degree, even though all requirements have been met?

There are a few reasons why an individual may not have an actual degree even though they have met all the requirements. Some may have faced personal or financial challenges that prevented them from completing their degree, while others may have chosen to leave their program early for various reasons. Additionally, some individuals may have taken courses or completed requirements outside of a traditional degree program.

3. How can I demonstrate my qualifications and readiness for a PhD program without an actual degree?

There are a few ways to demonstrate your qualifications and readiness for a PhD program without an actual degree. You can provide strong letters of recommendation from professors or professionals in your field, showcase relevant research experience or publications, and highlight any relevant skills or achievements that align with the program's requirements. Additionally, some universities may require applicants to complete a qualifying exam or submit a portfolio of their work.

4. Are there any specific programs or universities that are more likely to consider applicants without an actual degree?

While policies and requirements vary among universities and programs, some may be more open to considering applicants without an actual degree. For example, some universities may offer "direct entry" PhD programs that do not require a master's degree, making it more feasible for individuals with non-traditional backgrounds to apply. It is best to research and reach out to specific programs to inquire about their policies and requirements.

5. Will not having an actual degree impact my chances of being accepted into a PhD program?

Not having an actual degree may impact your chances of being accepted into a PhD program, as it is typically seen as a minimum requirement for most programs. However, as mentioned earlier, some universities and programs may consider applicants without an actual degree if they have met all other requirements and can demonstrate their qualifications and readiness for the program. It is important to thoroughly research and communicate with the program to determine your chances of acceptance.