Can I Bring a TI-Nspire graphing Calculator to math Praxis exam?

In summary, the Ti-Nspire is allowed to be used with the CX model calculator, but the Cas model calculator is not allowed.
Gamma
Hello,

I am allowed to take a graphing calculator to the Math Praxis Content knowledge test. Does anyone have experience taking a TI-Nspire to the test and did they allow you to use it? I wanted to know this because I need to buy a Ti-Nspire (which has a key pad), but the ETS does not seem to allow one with keyboard features.

My specific question is does the keypad on Ti-Nspire count as a keyboard, like the one prohibited by ETS?

Thanks!

Gamma

Physics news on Phys.org
I know nothing about the Praxis test, but for future people, which NSpire? CX? CAS? Some of them can also store PDFs I think, which would probably be prohibited for obvious reasons. If in doubt, I think a TI-89 would be fine, and still have 99% of the features, but the NSpires are certainly nice.

These are the guidelines supplied by ETS:

http://www.ets.org/praxis/test_day/policies/calculators

In general, if you have a question about whether a certain model calculator is permitted, you should contact ETS about it before taking the test.

Before and after the exam, the memory will be cleared by the test center administrators. So the ability to store files would not be an issue. Customer service told me that a calculator similar to Ti 92+ is not allowed. I am going to assume this means that all Ti Nspire calculators are not allowed. Having not used any of these calculators, I can not really make a decision.

I may have to purchase Ti 89 or something similar although I am love with Nspire. I guess I will sell it after the test to buy an Nspire. -thanks for your inputs.

I found this site by Texas Instruments.

According this site, Nspire models are allowed. --I am confused.

So is there a difference between the keyboard on Nspire and the keyboard of Ti92+ in terms of functionality??

The difference is that the TI-92+ has a QWERTY keyboard. Calculators with QWERTY keyboards are not allowed on the Praxis according to the Praxis web site.

The TI-Nspire alpha keys are in an ABC format not QWERTY.

Thank you dmlcsantucci! I got it.

Thank you PF as always.

Gamma

Hello. I know this thread is old but I was wondering if they allowed you to use your ti Nspire and which one do you have the cx or the one with the cas?

1. Can I bring a TI-Nspire graphing calculator to the math Praxis exam?

Yes, you can bring a TI-Nspire graphing calculator to the math Praxis exam. This calculator is allowed for use on the exam and can be a helpful tool for solving complex math problems.

2. What is the advantage of using a TI-Nspire graphing calculator on the math Praxis exam?

The advantage of using a TI-Nspire graphing calculator on the math Praxis exam is that it allows for quicker and more accurate calculations. This can save you time and help you solve more difficult problems with ease.

3. Are there any restrictions or limitations on using a TI-Nspire graphing calculator during the math Praxis exam?

There are no specific restrictions or limitations on using a TI-Nspire graphing calculator during the math Praxis exam. However, you should familiarize yourself with the calculator's functions beforehand to ensure you are using it effectively.

4. Can I bring a TI-Nspire CAS calculator instead of a TI-Nspire graphing calculator?

Yes, you can bring a TI-Nspire CAS calculator to the math Praxis exam. However, it is important to note that the CAS (Computer Algebra System) version may not be allowed for use on certain portions of the exam, so it is recommended to check with the exam guidelines beforehand.

5. Is it necessary to bring a TI-Nspire graphing calculator to the math Praxis exam?

No, it is not necessary to bring a TI-Nspire graphing calculator to the math Praxis exam. You are allowed to use other calculators or even do calculations by hand. However, using a graphing calculator can make certain problems easier and save you time, so it is recommended to bring one if you are familiar with its functions.