1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I Bring a TI-Nspire graphing Calculator to math Praxis exam?

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am allowed to take a graphing calculator to the Math Praxis Content knowledge test. Does any one have experience taking a TI-Nspire to the test and did they allow you to use it? I wanted to know this because I need to buy a Ti-Nspire (which has a key pad), but the ETS does not seem to allow one with keyboard features.

My specific question is does the keypad on Ti-Nspire count as a keyboard, like the one prohibited by ETS?

Thanks!

Gamma

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2
    I know nothing about the Praxis test, but for future people, which NSpire? CX? CAS? Some of them can also store PDFs I think, which would probably be prohibited for obvious reasons. If in doubt, I think a TI-89 would be fine, and still have 99% of the features, but the NSpires are certainly nice.

4. May 6, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

These are the guidelines supplied by ETS:

http://www.ets.org/praxis/test_day/policies/calculators

In general, if you have a question about whether a certain model calculator is permitted, you should contact ETS about it before taking the test.

5. May 7, 2013 #4
    Before and after the exam, the memory will be cleared by the test center administrators. So the ability to store files would not be an issue. Customer service told me that a calculator similar to Ti 92+ is not allowed. I am going to assume this means that all Ti Nspire calculators are not allowed. Having not used any of these calculators, I can not really make a decision.

I may have to purchase Ti 89 or something similar although I am love with Nspire. I guess I will sell it after the test to buy an Nspire. -thanks for your inputs.

6. May 7, 2013 #5
    I found this site by Texas Instruments.

According this site, Nspire models are allowed. --I am confused.

So is there a difference between the keyboard on Nspire and the keyboard of Ti92+ in terms of functionality??

7. May 8, 2013 #6
    The difference is that the TI-92+ has a QWERTY keyboard. Calculators with QWERTY keyboards are not allowed on the Praxis according to the Praxis web site.

The TI-Nspire alpha keys are in an ABC format not QWERTY.

8. May 8, 2013 #7
    Thank you dmlcsantucci!! I got it.

Thank you PF as always.

Gamma

9. Jan 16, 2016 #8
    Hello. I know this thread is old but I was wondering if they allowed you to use your ti Nspire and which one do you have the cx or the one with the cas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook