Is a CAS Calculator Worth the Extra Cost for a Mech Engineering Student?

In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of CAS (Computer Algebra System) calculators for a mechanical engineering student. The person is considering upgrading from a TI 83 calculator and is wondering if spending an additional $50 for the CAS feature on the Nspire calculator is justifiable. They also mention the possibility of using interchangeable keyboards to remove the CAS function. The conversation also mentions the potential benefits of CAS for reducing equations and integrating functions symbolically.
jeckel7234
Hi all,

I know this is very subjective and probably ask a few hundred thousand times. I'm an mech engineering student looking to upgrade from my ti 83. I know atleast so far my math classes won't allow a CAS capable calculator, and that you can get the interchangable keyboards to remove that function. And as far as I know there is know CAS program for the Prizm. Is the CAS system really that helpful?, I've never had the chance to use it. I know Id use the graphing feature of it a lot and integral/derivative features of them both and program in notes for formulas etc. Is it justifiable to spend another $50 on the Nspire if I can't use the CAS touchpad keyboard of it?

Thanks guys

I've posted this in Mech E forum as well hoping to get a wider variety of answers

Computer science news on Phys.org

What is the difference between TI Nspire and Casio Prizm?

The main difference between TI Nspire and Casio Prizm is the operating system. TI Nspire uses a proprietary operating system while Casio Prizm uses a modified version of the open-source operating system, Linux. Additionally, TI Nspire has a touchpad and a full-color display, while Casio Prizm has a traditional button layout and a monochrome display.

Can I use TI Nspire or Casio Prizm for advanced mathematical calculations?

Yes, both TI Nspire and Casio Prizm are designed for advanced mathematical calculations. They have built-in functions for algebra, calculus, statistics, and more. However, TI Nspire has a larger library of built-in functions and is generally considered more powerful for advanced calculations.

Can I use TI Nspire or Casio Prizm for graphing?

Yes, both TI Nspire and Casio Prizm have graphing capabilities. They can graph multiple functions, perform transformations, and plot points. However, TI Nspire has a larger screen and color display, making it easier to read and interpret graphs.

Which calculator is better for programming?

Both TI Nspire and Casio Prizm have basic programming capabilities. However, Casio Prizm has a built-in programming language, Casio Basic, which is more user-friendly for beginners. TI Nspire, on the other hand, requires the use of a separate software for programming. Overall, it depends on the level of programming experience and preference of the user.

Can I use TI Nspire or Casio Prizm on standardized tests?

Yes, both TI Nspire and Casio Prizm are allowed on most standardized tests, such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams. However, it is always best to check with the specific testing agency beforehand to ensure that the calculator is allowed. Additionally, some exams may have restrictions on certain features, such as the use of a touchscreen or color display.