Can I Delete My Own Topic on This Website?

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter José Ricardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    delete topic
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deleting a topic on the forum. It is mentioned that threads without any meaningful answers can be deleted upon request, but it would be rude to delete threads with responses as it disregards the effort put into them. It is clarified that members cannot delete their own topics, but can edit their posts within the thread. The suggestion is made to either post a message stating the solution or delete the entire post to prevent further replies. However, it is emphasized that the solution should still be posted for the benefit of others.
José Ricardo
Let's suppose, if I took my doubt about something but I want to delete the topic, I can't. Would be possible this possibility to delete a topic

Physics news on Phys.org
José Ricardo said:
Let's suppose, if I took my doubt about something but I want to delete the topic, I can't. Would be possible this possibility to delete a topic
As long as a thread has no answers, we usually delete them on request; just use the "report" button. We do not delete threads which already have meaningful answers. It would be rude to do so, because people invested time and effort to respond and deleting this means that we didn't appreciate their work - which we do!

Likes José Ricardo, berkeman, davenn and 2 others
I believe it was or still is possible for a member to delete or remove a topic IF nobody responded to it. I do not know for certain (need to check).

Now done checking: Member cannot delete his own topic. Best way is report the topic so moderator or administrator can do this. Member can CHANGE or edit his posts to the topic. That's all. Otherwise, "REPORT".

Last edited:
Likes José Ricardo
I have one suggestion. Say you have posted a thread, but you've found the answer soon after posting. Now, what you can do to prevent any reply is to either post a message in bold saying "I have got a solution", or edit the first post and delete everything. In that case, no replies will be generated. Then use the Report option and request for deletion of the thread.

Likes José Ricardo
Wrichik Basu said:
prevent any reply is to either post a message in bold saying "I have got a solution",
Only if you also post the solution!
Remember that you are likely not the only person that wants an answer.

(end overuse of font directives) :biggrin:

Likes José Ricardo and phinds
Wrichik Basu said:
I have one suggestion. Say you have posted a thread, but you've found the answer soon after posting. Now, what you can do to prevent any reply is to either post a message in bold saying "I have got a solution", or edit the first post and delete everything. In that case, no replies will be generated. Then use the Report option and request for deletion of the thread.
So much to do for just finding a solution on your own efforts. Tom.G is probably right.

Likes José Ricardo
Tom.G said:
Only if you also post the solution!
Remember that you are likely not the only person that wants an answer.

(end overuse of font directives) :biggrin:
If I was the person, I would have posted the solution (keeping in mind that the question doesn't turn out to be trivial after I get the answer). Don't know about the case of others, but the solution should be posted.

Likes José Ricardo

1. Can I delete my own topic if I no longer want it on this website?

Yes, you can delete your own topic on this website if you are the creator of the topic. Simply go to the topic page and click on the delete button, which is usually located near the topic title. Keep in mind that once a topic is deleted, it cannot be recovered.

2. Do I need a special permission to delete my own topic?

No, you do not need any special permission to delete your own topic. As long as you are the creator of the topic, you have the ability to delete it.

3. Can I delete my topic even if others have commented on it?

Yes, you can still delete your topic even if others have commented on it. However, their comments will also be deleted along with the topic. If you want to keep the comments, you may want to consider closing the topic instead of deleting it.

4. Will deleting my topic affect my account or reputation on this website?

No, deleting your own topic will not affect your account or reputation on this website. However, if you frequently delete topics, it may be seen as disruptive behavior and could potentially affect your reputation in the community.

5. Can I undelete a topic that I have previously deleted?

No, once a topic is deleted, it cannot be undeleted. Make sure you are certain about deleting a topic before doing so, as it cannot be recovered.