Can I Eat Frozen Chicken 2 Months Old?

  • Thread starter Thread starter motornoob101
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
motornoob101
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Silly question but my mom cooked me some chicken. I stored it in the freezer compartment and forget about it. It is frozen but is like 2 months old. Can I still eat it if I heat it up using microwave/pot or soemthing? Thanks.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
motornoob101 said:
Silly question but my mom cooked me some chicken. I stored it in the freezer compartment and forget about it. It is frozen but is like 2 months old. Can I still eat it if I heat it up using microwave/pot or soemthing? Thanks.

I would not touch it with a 10ft pole yet alone eat it.
 
Geez, Woolie, you're picky...
I've thawed out stuff a couple of years old with no ill effects.
 
Danger said:
Geez, Woolie, you're picky...
I've thawed out stuff a couple of years old with no ill effects.

I guess i am, but not knowing the oven to freezer prep i would sooner bin it.
 
Better safe than sorry, I guess. Then again, I have that "it can't kill me" metabolism. (I'm still pissed off about my 27-year-old moose steak getting tossed... and only a couple of years before I bought a barbeque. )
 
Last edited:
Frozen cooked chicken is good for up to four to six months. As long as it wasn't spoiled when you froze it, it is safe. If it wasn't wrapped properly it might have freezer burn, but that only affects taste and texture, not safety.

See the link for storage recommendations.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fttstore.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine chicken frozen after cooking tasting very good, but yeah, as Evo points out, in terms of safety, it should be okay (at least as okay as it was before frozen).