1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Can I enroll in a physics PhD program after BS in engineering?

1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    I have a bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from a good university in India. I studied physics in Senior Secondary(10+1,10+2). But I have no individual research experience in physics at bachelors level because in the engineering college we had no choice of major/minor subjects like they get is U.S. or other countries. My knowledge in Physics is equivalent to that of a high school student. I thought of getting admission in M.Sc. Physics but realized that I need a lot of practice to be good at the subjects that form the base of those in the masters course. Can I enroll for a PhD program after my bachelors with no research experience. If no, what should I do to change it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No.

Even if you were accepted, you would not be able to complete the program.

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How do you only physics knowledge at the high school level if you have a degree in engineering? There is a huge overlap, especially with mechanical engineering and physics...

5. Apr 13, 2016 #4
    You have got to be underestimating your knowledge of physics if you have a BS in engineering. They are far too related. I would think you're close to a physics majors skills minus a few upper division courses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted