Can I express the maximal solution interval of an ODE as

In summary, the homework statement is to find a solution to an ODE on the form x(t) = nt^s where n is an integer and t is in seconds. TheAttempt at a Solution finds that the solution is on the interval [-3,3] and that the maximum interval for the solution is k=1.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

I'm working on trying to first to solve an ODE on the form

[tex]\sqrt{x(t)}\frac{dx}{dt} = 2\cdot t^2[/tex]

My task is to find a solution on the form [tex]x(t) =nt^s[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I do some separation and I get that the above is equal to

[tex]\sqrt{x(t)} dx = 2 \cdot t^2 dt[/tex]

Which by integrating on both sides of the equality yields

[tex]\frac{2}{3} x(t)^{3/2} = \frac{2}{3}t^3[/tex]

I mulitiply by a factor of 3 on both sides and divide by a factor of 2 and arrive at

and get [tex]x(t)^{3/2} = t^3[/tex]

which gives the solution

[tex]ln(x(t)) = 2 \cdot ln(t) \Rightarrow x(t) = t^2[/tex]

Then the bad not so easy second question. What is the maximum interval on which x(t) is defined?

According to my textbook I have to equal the two antiderivatives of the original equation to obtain the first endpoint.

and then take the composite of the invers of the anti-derivative of lhs of the original ODE and the antiderivative of the rhs to find the second endpoint.

I then obtain an interval [tex]I = [t^2, sign(t)][/tex]

Have I understood this correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean by
According to my textbook I have to equal the two antiderivatives of the original equation to obtain the first endpoint.

and then take the composite of the invers of the anti-derivative of lhs of the original ODE and the antiderivative of the rhs to find the second endpoint.

I then obtain an interval
[tex]I= [t^2, sgn(t)|[/tex]
Equate what two anti-derivatives? The anti-derivatives of each side of your equation [itex]\sqrt{x}dx= 2t^2 dt[/itex]? You did that to solve the equation.

Why in the world would you take the composite of the inverses of the two sides? If you have f(y)= g(x), then taking the inverse of f, of both sides, you get [itex]y= f^{-1}(g(x))[/itex] to solve for y but that is the composite of the inverse of the left side with the function on the right side.

And finally, [itex]I= [t^2, sgn(t)][/itex] means nothing to me. The interval asked for here is the interval between two numbers. Writing two functions together like that is NOT an interval. I would say that because, in the original equation,
[tex]\sqrt{x}\frac{dx}{dt}= 2t^2[/tex]
the coefficient of the derivative is only defined and differentiable for x> 0, and that is not true if t= 0, the interval of definition is either [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] or [itex](-\infty, 0)[/itex], depending on whether an "initial condition" is given for t> 0 or t< 0.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no idea what you mean by

Equate what two anti-derivatives? The anti-derivatives of each side of your equation [itex]\sqrt{x}dx= 2t^2 dt[/itex]? You did that to solve the equation.

Why in the world would you take the composite of the inverses of the two sides? If you have f(y)= g(x), then taking the inverse of f, of both sides, you get [itex]y= f^{-1}(g(x))[/itex] to solve for y but that is the composite of the inverse of the left side with the function on the right side.

And finally, [itex]I= [t^2, sgn(t)][/itex] means nothing to me. The interval asked for here is the interval between two numbers. Writing two functions together like that is NOT an interval. I would say that because, in the original equation,
[tex]\sqrt{x}\frac{dx}{dt}= 2t^2[/tex]
the coefficient of the derivative is only defined and differentiable for x> 0, and that is not true if t= 0, the interval of definition is either [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] or [itex](-\infty, 0)[/itex], depending on whether an "initial condition" is given for t> 0 or t< 0.

Hi Mr Hall,

Thank you for your reply and again I made mistake like a usually do.

I get that the solution to the above ODE is

[tex]x(t) = (t^3+\frac{3}{2}c)^{\frac{2}{3}}[/tex]

If I draw the solution curve on my graphical Calculator I can see this looks to defined on the interval [-3,3].

Do I then conclude from this Hallsofty that this is the maximum interval for the solution for [tex]k \geq 1[/tex]??

1. "What is the maximal solution interval of an ODE?"

The maximal solution interval of an ODE (ordinary differential equation) is the largest interval over which the solution of the ODE is defined and continuous. In other words, it is the interval within which the solution to the ODE exists and is valid.

2. "Can the maximal solution interval of an ODE be expressed as a single number?"

No, the maximal solution interval of an ODE cannot be expressed as a single number. It is typically expressed as a range of values, such as [a, b], where a and b are the lower and upper bounds of the interval, respectively.

3. "How is the maximal solution interval of an ODE determined?"

The maximal solution interval of an ODE is determined by analyzing the properties of the ODE, such as its initial conditions, coefficients, and any constraints on the solution. It can also be determined by solving the ODE and identifying the interval in which the solution remains valid.

4. "Is the maximal solution interval of an ODE always finite?"

No, the maximal solution interval of an ODE can be either finite or infinite, depending on the properties of the ODE. For example, if the ODE is a simple linear equation, the maximal solution interval will likely be infinite. However, if the ODE has non-linear terms or constraints, the maximal solution interval may be finite.

5. "Why is the maximal solution interval of an ODE important?"

The maximal solution interval of an ODE is important because it determines the range of values over which the solution to the ODE is valid. It also allows us to identify any potential issues or limitations in the solution, such as singularities or discontinuities. Additionally, knowing the maximal solution interval can help us make predictions about the behavior of the ODE over time.