Can I find the distance from Ax to C in this problem?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the distance from point Ax to point C in a given triangle ABC, with known side lengths and an applied force. It is determined that there is enough information to calculate the distance, and the method of using perpendicular lines and angles to solve the problem is suggested. Finally, it is mentioned that the cosine of angle BAC may be useful in this calculation.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm not sure if I have enough information. I solved for Ay and By. But do I have the distance from Ax to C when I isolate the beam AD?

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7963/20092009.jpg

P = 5 [kN]
Beams are weightless and connected by joints

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached

Attachments

• at009.jpg
    at009.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 390
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
I'm not sure if I have enough information. I solved for Ay and By. But do I have the distance from Ax to C when I isolate the beam AD?

You do have enough information.
Of the triangle ABC you have 2 sides and 1 angle.
That is enough to completely determine ABC and anything related.

Can you calculate the angle between AB and AC?

Suppose you draw a line from C to a point on AB that is perpendicular.
Let's call this point E.
Can you calculate the length of CE now (using the angle)?

I like Serena is completely correct. More generally any time you drop a perpendicular from the right angle of a right triangle to the hypotenuse, you divide the triangle into two right triangles, both similar to the original triangle. If you are very clever, you don't need to calculate the angle at all or use any trig functions- however, you may find it simplest to use the cosine of A.

Good call, I need to find angle BAC first. I needed to think more instead of going to the league of genius (i.e. you) at the first sign of desperation. My gratitude :)

is an image of the problem.

I would say that it is not possible to find the distance from Ax to C without additional information. In order to calculate the distance, we would need to know the length of the beam AD and the angle between the beams AD and AC. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the distance. It is important to have all the necessary information in order to solve a problem accurately.

1. How do I determine the distance from Ax to C in this problem?

To find the distance from Ax to C, you will need to use the distance formula, which is √(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2. In this formula, Ax and C will represent the x and y coordinates of the two points you are trying to find the distance between.

2. Can I use a different formula to find the distance from Ax to C?

While the distance formula is the most commonly used method for finding the distance between two points, there are other formulas that can be used, such as the Pythagorean theorem or the slope formula. However, these formulas may not be as efficient or accurate as the distance formula.

3. Do I need to know the coordinates of both Ax and C to find the distance between them?

Yes, in order to use the distance formula, you will need to know the coordinates of both points. If you only have one of the points' coordinates, you will not be able to accurately find the distance between them.

4. Can I use a graph to find the distance from Ax to C?

Yes, you can use a graph to find the distance between two points by measuring the distance between them on the graph. However, this method may not be as precise as using the distance formula.

5. Is there a way to estimate the distance from Ax to C without using a formula?

There are some methods, such as using a ruler or estimating the distance based on the scale of the graph, that can give you a rough estimate of the distance between two points. However, for an accurate measurement, it is best to use the distance formula.