Statics problem - is the mistake mine or the solution manual?

In summary, The conversation was about a problem with a solution manual for a given homework statement. The person who provided their own attempt at a solution thinks there is a mistake in the manual and gives a link to a diagram. Another person agrees and points out the mistake in the manual, praising the first person's work. The original person thanks them and the summary concludes with praise for the work done.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
So I got everything right other than Rd (the end). I personally think there's a mistake in the solution manual.

Homework Statement

Basically these are all pin joints, even the "hydrolic cylinder" (CD) is weightless and connected by pin joints, so the fact it's called or drawn as "hydrolic cylinder" doesn't matter.
F = 80 [kN]
Ignore the weight of all the beams

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3063/sketch1999.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached

Attachments

• 991.jpg
    991.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 402
  • 992.jpg
    992.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 360
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't fault your solution.
I give it my stamp of approval. :)

What's the answer of the solution manual?

w00t! Another mistake to add to my blog :)

Thanks for the stamp!

Answer manual's Rd = 226.27 [kN]

Solution manual full solution attached

Attachments

• solman.jpg
    solman.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 417
Femme_physics said:
w00t! Another mistake to add to my blog :)

Thanks for the stamp!

Answer manual's Rd = 226.27 [kN]

Solution manual full solution attached

Yes, there's indeed a mistake in the solution manual.
They took the force at E in the wrong direction.
They really should have drawn proper free body diagrams as you did! :)

*pats self on shoulder*

Thank you Serena! :)

i also believe your work is correct. and it is very clear and easy to follow; nice job.

cheers

Thank you eczeno! :)

Related to Statics problem - is the mistake mine or the solution manual?

1. Is it common for there to be discrepancies between my solution and the solution manual?

Yes, it is common for there to be discrepancies between your solution and the solution manual. Statics problems can be complex and there are often multiple approaches to solving them. It is possible that you and the author of the solution manual arrived at different solutions due to using different methods or making different assumptions.

2. How can I determine if the mistake is mine or in the solution manual?

The best way to determine if the mistake is yours or in the solution manual is to carefully review your work and compare it to the steps and solutions provided in the manual. Check for any errors in calculations, units, or assumptions. If you are still unsure, seeking help from a peer or instructor can also help identify any mistakes.

3. What should I do if I find a mistake in the solution manual?

If you believe you have found a mistake in the solution manual, you can bring it to the attention of your instructor or the author of the manual. They may be able to provide clarification or correct the mistake for future editions. If the mistake significantly affects your understanding of the problem, it may also be helpful to seek out additional resources for clarification.

4. Can I still get credit for a problem if my solution differs from the solution manual?

Yes, you can still receive credit for a problem even if your solution differs from the solution manual. As long as your solution is logically and mathematically sound, you should receive credit for your work. It is important to show your work and explain your thought process in order to receive full credit.

5. How can I prevent making mistakes in future statics problems?

To prevent making mistakes in future statics problems, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to practice with similar problems and double check your work for errors. Seeking help from a peer or instructor can also improve your understanding and decrease the likelihood of making mistakes.