Can I Graph a Semicircle By Hand?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
In summary, the equation of the circle is (x - 4)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 9. To solve for y, you must isolate it. When it comes to graphing the semicircle, you can do it by hand or use a graphing tool like Wolfram Math. If you choose to do it by hand, you can easily plot three points - (7,1), (4,4), and (1,1) - which are 3 units to the right, up, and left from the circle's center respectively. Then, connect these points with a circular arc to draw the semicircle accurately.
mathdad
An equation of the circle is given below. Solve the equation for y, and then graph the resulting semicircle.

(x - 4)^2 + (y - 1)^2 = 9

I must isolate y. I get it. My question concerns graphing the semicircle by hand. Can it be graphed by hand or should I simply use the wolfram math site for graphing? If by hand, can you provide several points that would allow me to draw the semicircle correctly?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know the center of the circle is $(4,1)$ amd the radius is $r=3$. So, this gives you 3 easy points (if you choose the "upper" semi-circle):

$(4+3,1)=(7,1))$

$(4,1+3)=(4,4)$

$(4-3,1)=(1,1)$

Then connect the 3 points with a circular arc.

MarkFL said:
You know the center of the circle is $(4,1)$ amd the radius is $r=3$. So, this gives you 3 easy points (if you choose the "upper" semi-circle):

$(4+3,1)=(7,1))$

$(4,1+3)=(4,4)$

$(4-3,1)=(1,1)$

Then connect the 3 points with a circular arc.

Plotting the three points is easy but I am slightly confused in terms of how you came up with the points.

RTCNTC said:
Plotting the three points is easy but I am slightly confused in terms of how you came up with the points.

The first point is 3 units to the right of the circle's center, the second point is 3 units up and the third point is 3 units to the left. :D

MarkFL said:
The first point is 3 units to the right of the circle's center, the second point is 3 units up and the third point is 3 units to the left. :D

I totally get it. Thanks again.

What is the meaning of "solve equation for y"?

"Solve equation for y" means to find the value of the variable y that satisfies the given equation. This is done by isolating the variable y on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side.

How do I solve an equation for y?

To solve an equation for y, follow these steps:

1. Isolate the term with y on one side of the equation
  2. Use inverse operations to simplify the other side of the equation
  3. If y is still not isolated, repeat the first two steps until it is
  4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation

Can an equation have more than one solution for y?

Yes, an equation can have more than one solution for y. This means there are multiple values of y that satisfy the equation. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

What do I do if there is no solution for y?

If there is no solution for y, it means that the equation is not possible to solve. This could be due to a mistake in the equation or because the equation is not solvable using traditional methods. In this case, you may need to use alternative methods such as graphing or using a calculator to approximate a solution.

Can I solve an equation for y if there are multiple variables?

Yes, you can solve an equation for y even if there are multiple variables. However, you will need to have enough information to isolate y and solve for its value. If there are too many variables and not enough equations, it may be impossible to solve for y.