Can I make a rocket by mixing aluminum + iodine (+ water catalyst)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of AlI3 as a potential rocket fuel and the safety concerns surrounding it. The idea of using a tungsten container to contain the hot gas produced during the reaction is also mentioned, but it is noted that tungsten is not an ideal material for rockets. The conversation concludes with concerns about the safety of using HCl and Al as rocket fuel and the suggestion to do further research on the safety of AlI3.
gggnano
TL;DR Summary
Vigorous, spontaneous reaction that releases gaseous aluminum iodide and ~2000 C degrees temperature?
Basically it's a well known reaction, many kids on youtube make it for the views:

I am thinking, since AlI3 sublimes can it be put in say tungsten bottle (is this even a thing??) and then used as a rocket the same way Na+H2O or HCL+Al rockets are used - the gas escapes? This phase transformation of the halide is very hot though which is why I'm suggesting thungsten container since it has melting point of 3400 degrees compared to the 2000 or so reached during the reaction. I suspect the tungsten will get very soft and elastic and glowing yellow/red during the process.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Tungsten is not exactly ideal rocket material. It is considerably heavier then lead.
Also who makes rockets from HCl and Al? Back to the drawing board

hutchphd said:
Tungsten is not exactly ideal rocket material. It is considerably heavier then lead.
Also who makes rockets from HCl and Al? Back to the drawing board

I'm not saying it's a good choice at all...even among hobbiests who use "rocket candy", the question is if the gas expands fast enough to create thrust:

On another note both HCL and the halide are very unsafe to use especially in their gas form when the wind can blow them into you, which is why I said that kids use them as evident by the youtube videos.

So why are you repeating this supercilious crap?

hutchphd said:
So why are you repeating this supercilious crap?

Sorry what?? It's just a question, can it happen or not? I was just proving my point that it's far from ideal...the question remains though lol.

Likes hutchphd
Thread locked.

Google "aluminum iodide MSDS" for starters on safety concerns.

1. Can aluminum and iodine be used to make a rocket?

Yes, aluminum and iodine can be used to make a rocket. When these two substances are mixed together with a water catalyst, they undergo a chemical reaction that produces a gas called hydrogen iodide. This gas is highly flammable and can be used as a propellant to launch a rocket.

2. How does the reaction between aluminum and iodine produce a rocket?

The reaction between aluminum and iodine is an exothermic reaction, meaning it releases energy in the form of heat. This heat causes the water catalyst to boil and produce steam, which then mixes with the hydrogen iodide gas to create a high-pressure gas. This gas is then directed through a nozzle, creating thrust that propels the rocket upwards.

3. Can any type of aluminum and iodine be used for this reaction?

No, not all types of aluminum and iodine can be used for this reaction. It is important to use finely powdered aluminum and pure iodine for the best results. Impurities in the substances can affect the reaction and may not produce enough thrust to launch a rocket.

4. Is this reaction safe to perform at home?

No, this reaction is not safe to perform at home. The reaction between aluminum and iodine can be dangerous and should only be performed by trained professionals in a controlled environment. Additionally, the resulting hydrogen iodide gas is highly toxic and can cause harm if not handled properly.

5. Are there any other substances that can be used to make a rocket?

Yes, there are many other substances that can be used to make a rocket. Some common propellants include liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, which are used in rockets for space travel. However, these substances require specialized equipment and are not suitable for amateur experiments.

Back