1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I persue PhD in nuclear physics after studying applied physics

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    I am currently studying in msc applied physics ..now from here I want to make my career as j.r.f or r.a. in institute like d.r.d.o , prl ahmedabad. If I clear the exam like ugc net jrf then does it mean that I am equally eligible for certain post as compared to pure physics students in real life and job career wise what difference does it makes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2015 #2
    There seems to be some location specific jargon in the question that I don't understand.

In the US, grad schools consider various factors and the strength of an applicant's entire record when granting admission to PhD programs.

All other factors being equal, a degree in applied physics may not make a candidate as attractive as a degree in "pure" physics, but that could be overcome by factors including: higher GPA, specific coursework, higher PGRE score, more highly respected school, and strong background in research.

4. Jul 16, 2015 #3
    I don't think the difference between physics and applied physics is very significant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook