Can I persue PhD in nuclear physics after studying applied physics

In summary, the speaker is currently studying in MSc Applied Physics and wants to pursue a career as a J.R.F or R.A in institutes like D.R.D.O and PRL Ahmedabad. They are wondering if clearing the UGC NET JRF exam would make them equally eligible for certain posts as compared to students with a degree in pure physics. However, it seems that there are other factors that could make an applicant more attractive, such as a higher GPA, specific coursework, and a strong background in research. Overall, the difference between physics and applied physics may not be significant in terms of job opportunities.
Darkmatter009
I am currently studying in msc applied physics ..now from here I want to make my career as j.r.f or r.a. in institute like d.r.d.o , prl ahmedabad. If I clear the exam like ugc net jrf then does it mean that I am equally eligible for certain post as compared to pure physics students in real life and job career wise what difference does it makes?

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be some location specific jargon in the question that I don't understand.

In the US, grad schools consider various factors and the strength of an applicant's entire record when granting admission to PhD programs.

All other factors being equal, a degree in applied physics may not make a candidate as attractive as a degree in "pure" physics, but that could be overcome by factors including: higher GPA, specific coursework, higher PGRE score, more highly respected school, and strong background in research.

I don't think the difference between physics and applied physics is very significant.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in nuclear physics with a background in applied physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in nuclear physics with a background in applied physics. Many universities offer graduate programs in nuclear physics that accept students from a variety of backgrounds, including applied physics.

2. What are the prerequisites for a PhD in nuclear physics after studying applied physics?

The specific prerequisites may vary depending on the university and program, but generally, a strong background in physics, mathematics, and computer science is needed for a PhD in nuclear physics. Some programs may also require coursework in nuclear physics or related fields.

3. Do I need research experience in nuclear physics to be accepted into a PhD program?

While research experience in nuclear physics can certainly strengthen your application, it is not always a requirement for admission into a PhD program. Admissions committees typically look at a combination of factors, including academic performance, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge I should have before pursuing a PhD in nuclear physics?

Some helpful skills and knowledge to have before pursuing a PhD in nuclear physics include a strong foundation in classical and quantum mechanics, familiarity with nuclear physics concepts and theories, and experience with data analysis and computer programming.

5. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in nuclear physics?

A PhD in nuclear physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research positions in national laboratories or universities, teaching and academic positions, and careers in the nuclear industry or government agencies. It can also open doors to interdisciplinary fields such as medical physics, materials science, and environmental science.