Can I Pursue Engineering and Astrophysics Simultaneously?

In summary: The major difference is the emphasis in the classes, but with some creativity usually it is possible to find a way to make it work.In summary, Laura, dual-majoring in astronomy and engineering often has overlapping course lists and is possible with some creativity.
vinetpillai
Hey guys I'm new to this website. I'm from India and my problem is quite simple.

So I want to do engineering and astrophysics.Both are completely different right?
This may sound dumb but..
Anyway to take up engineering and then specialize in astrophysics or something?
I've searched around the internet a bit and found something interesting under the academics section:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Institute_of_Astrophysics

There's something called integrated mtech ..
I don't understand it properly can somebody explain.
Any insights would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I looked at the reference you gave and noticed an external link that may answer your question:

http://www.iiap.res.in/intmtech.html

It apparently focuses on the instrumentation used in Astrophysical research which sounds like the ideal mix of engineering and astrophysics since in essence that's what you'd be using to do your research.

Nice!
Do you know any foreign universities which offer something similar?
I really don't want to study in India after Btech (undergrad)

I'm not sure which universities have explicit programs in this field. Texas A7M seems to have some programs on instrumentation:

http://instrumentation.tamu.edu/

However on another note, the Hubble Space Telescope is celebrating 25 years of discovery and the PBS show NOVA talked about its construction recently.

Wikipedia also has a detailed discussion on its initial problems which you may find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

Likes yeshuamo
Why not simply dual-major in both astronomy/astrophysics and some kind of engineering (mechanical, electrical, or computer most usefully)? That would make your skill set very in demand for any kind of astrophysics instrumentation research. Speaking from the astrophysics side, I had to teach myself more of the engineering and hands-on technical skills and I had to informally teach engineers who we hired to help us who had no astro training. To have both skill sets in one person is killer! Dual-majoring would accomplish the same thing as trying to find a very specialized program and it opens up the number of universities that you can apply to. There are also more specialized physics engineering degrees as well.

Thank you guys and laura..
How do I do a dual degree again?
Does it mean I got to study astrophysics and engineering separately like 2 completely different courses?
Won't it be hard to do that ?

For related degree programs, the course lists often overlap and with a few courses you can bridge two majors.

Related to Can I Pursue Engineering and Astrophysics Simultaneously?

1. What is the difference between engineering and astrophysics?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. Astrophysics, on the other hand, is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and phenomena. While engineering involves creating practical solutions to real-world problems, astrophysics is more focused on theoretical research and understanding the universe.

2. Can engineering principles be applied to astrophysics?

Yes, engineering principles such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electronics can be applied to astrophysics. Engineers can contribute to the design and construction of space telescopes, satellites, and other instruments used in astrophysics research. They can also develop software and algorithms to analyze and interpret astronomical data.

3. How does engineering play a role in space exploration?

Engineering plays a crucial role in space exploration by designing and building spacecraft, rovers, and other equipment used to study and travel to other planets and celestial bodies. Engineers also develop technologies to support human spaceflight, such as life support systems and space habitats.

4. What are some examples of engineering and astrophysics working together?

One example of engineering and astrophysics working together is the development of the Hubble Space Telescope. Engineers designed and built the telescope, while astrophysicists use it to study the universe and make groundbreaking discoveries. Another example is the Mars rovers, which were designed and built by engineers to study the Martian surface and search for signs of life, with input from astrophysicists to determine the most promising locations to explore.

5. How can studying engineering and astrophysics benefit society?

Studying engineering and astrophysics can benefit society in many ways. Engineering helps us develop new technologies and solutions to improve our daily lives, while astrophysics allows us to better understand the universe and our place in it. Additionally, advancements in space exploration made possible by engineering and astrophysics can lead to new discoveries and innovations that can benefit humanity as a whole.