Civil Engineer wanting to pursue a PhD in physics or astrophysics

In summary, the person is a civil engineering graduate who has realized their passion for astrophysics. They are seeking advice on how to pursue a PhD in astrophysics with their current background and are considering retaking undergraduate courses at a community college. They are also advised to gain research experience and attend an open day at NASA Goddard for more information on careers in astrophysics.
Terp
Hi everybody,

I'm in somewhat of a career conundrum. I'm 24, I've graduated from the University of Maryland in May of 2010 with a BS in Civil Engineering. I've been working for the past year for a fairly prestigious engineering firm, and while I do like my work, I've come to decide over the past three or four years that it's not what I'm passionate about. I've always been fascinated with the universe and the possibility of what's out there. I have probably watched every single physics or astronomy documentary out there.

This leads me to the point of this thread...I really want to pursue a graduate degree (PhD) in astrophysics. I'm at the point where I would like to start looking into what it would take to pursue a doctorate in astrophysics. The problem is, I have a civil engineering undergrad. I don't feel I have the undergraduate background to go straight into a physics graduate program. At the very least, I'd want to take all of my undergraduate math and physics classes again because I have forgotten a lot of it (all the calculus and ordinary/partial differential equations at least); I could probably do this at a community college. My math skills are solid but not anywhere near where I'd want them to be for a physics grad program.

Does anybody have any suggestions for somebody in my situation? I really would appreciate any input.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't take most of the physics classes you'd need to apply to a PhD program in astronomy at a community college. At the very least, you should take calculus-based physics I and II, math methods for physicists, classical mechanics, modern physics, thermodynamics & statistical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, quantum mechanics, and linear algebra. And it would be a very good idea to get some research experience in astrophysics before committing to a grad program in it - it might not be exactly what you were hoping it would be, and better to find out early. If you're still in the College Park area, UMD would be a great place to take these courses - you don't need to enroll for another degree, you can take them as a non-degree student by just paying for them individually. Although it might be hard to get someone to take you on as a research student that way.

If you are in the UMD area, NASA Goddard is having an open day tomorrow (for the first time in 3 years) - the public can come visit the center, talk to astronomers and engineers, learn about careers at Goddard and what it's like to do astronomy, and about all the research going on in at Goddard. It would be a great resource. They're open from 11 am - 5 pm, rain or shine. They'll be running free shuttles from the Greenbelt and New Carrolton metro stations (no public parking at Goddard). They're expecting a few thousand people, so if you do go you might want to go early.

1. Can a civil engineer pursue a PhD in physics or astrophysics?

Yes, a civil engineer can pursue a PhD in physics or astrophysics. While the fields may seem unrelated, there is a growing demand for engineers with a strong background in physics and astrophysics, particularly in fields such as geophysics and aerospace engineering.

2. What qualifications are needed for a civil engineer to pursue a PhD in physics or astrophysics?

Typically, a civil engineer looking to pursue a PhD in physics or astrophysics will need a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and engineering. This can be achieved through a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, followed by additional coursework in physics and astrophysics.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a PhD in physics or astrophysics for a civil engineer?

Pursuing a PhD in physics or astrophysics can open up career opportunities in fields such as research and development, academia, and high-tech industries. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and how they apply to engineering problems.

4. Are there any challenges for a civil engineer pursuing a PhD in physics or astrophysics?

One potential challenge for a civil engineer pursuing a PhD in physics or astrophysics is the difference in coursework and research focus. Civil engineering typically involves more hands-on, practical applications, while physics and astrophysics are more theoretical. However, with dedication and a strong passion for the subject, these challenges can be overcome.

5. How can a civil engineer prepare for a PhD in physics or astrophysics?

A civil engineer can prepare for a PhD in physics or astrophysics by taking additional courses in mathematics, physics, and astronomy, as well as gaining research experience through internships or undergraduate research projects. Networking with professionals in the field and seeking guidance from mentors can also be beneficial.