Can I Transform Multiple Steel Beams into a Single Piece of Concrete?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
pj33
Messages
23
Reaction score
3
When I convert the steel beams to concrete, do I transform the several different beams into a single piece of concrete in order to do the calculations to find the second moment of area of the beam or do I transform each beam separately into a concrete piece?
Intuitively, t seems reasonable to just convert all the beams into a single piece of concrete as the the cross-sectional area is usually small, but if it is true is it always valid?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I believe that we will need some kind of schematic, or more information at least.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pj33 and russ_watters
91265485_259065958436653_3833403069257744384_n.jpg

In a simple case like this.
 
My copy of Reinforced Concrete Design, by Spiegel and Limbrunner, has 18 pages on the design of rectangular beams with only tension steel. I recommend that you find a similar book because there is more to the analysis than what is implied in your question.

Hint: Read carefully the part about balanced vs underreinforced vs overreinforced beams.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pj33 and Lnewqban
pj33 said:
In a simple case like this.
What is the material within the rest of the rectangular cross section?
Does that concrete contain steel in any shape?
 
Lnewqban said:
What is the material within the rest of the rectangular cross section?
Does that concrete contain steel in any shape?
It is a rectangular shaped concrete which has 3 beams of steal in order to reinforce it. When I transforme the 3 beams, I have converted all 3 of them to a single piece of concrete with area mA.
A is the total area of the 3 beams of steal and m is the ratio of the steal's Young's Modulus to the concrete's Young's Modulus