Can I use a 1.3A adapter instead of a 1.0A for my device?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Atomixx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Adapter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Atomixx
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] 1.0 or 1.3A adapter problems?

Hi everyone!

I didn't know where to post this question so I posted it here.

I have a unit that needs an adapter with the following stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1A

It is completely impossible for me to find such an adapter. I've searched everywhere, and I even talked to electricians about it. They are very rare with European plugs (I live in Denmark), I don't even know if they exists..

BUT today I found an adapter from an old Nintendo machine in my house. It is ALMOST the adapter that I need. Here is the stats:

INPUT AC 220V 50Hz 17W
OUTPUT AC 9V 1.3A

As you can see the only difference is that the one I need has an 1A output and the one I found has a 1.3A output.

Is it possible to use a 1.3A adapter instead of the 1.0A? I've tried it quickly and the unit works with it, but I quickly turned it off again because I wanted to know if it was OK to use.

Hope you can help, I'm so tired of this problem.

Thanks!
Atomixx
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved from GD to EE. Welcome to the PF, Atomixx.

Yes, the adapter you have found will work fine. The output current rating is a maximum, so as long as the current drawn is less than that maximum, it will work fine. Good find!
 
berkeman said:
Thread moved from GD to EE. Welcome to the PF, Atomixx.

Yes, the adapter you have found will work fine. The output current rating is a maximum, so as long as the current drawn is less than that maximum, it will work fine. Good find!


Thank you very much for your answer, I am very happy to hear that! Yeah I was very lucky that I found that Nintendo adapter (NES)!

Cheers

Kris