1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I use brackets on the subscript of a log?

1. Jun 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, can I type brackets around the subscript of a log? Can I type brackets around the non subscript as well?

I included what I mean in the picture below, as it's maybe easier to see what I mean. I'm just concerned that the meaning of what I wrote changes when I include the brackets. I don't want it to now mean multiplied where it shouldn't.

Do both forms mean the same thing? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

I wouldn't bother with the brackets, just make sure that if you're writing out the subscripts on paper that it's obvious which is which.

By the way, take a look at this proof:

[tex]\log_ab=x[/tex]
    This is equivalent to
    [tex]a^x=b[/tex]
    Now, the LHS can become
    [tex]\frac{1}{a^{-x}}=\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^{-x}[/tex]
    Hence we can use the definition of the log again to transform it back into
    [tex]\log_{1/a}b=-x[/tex]

:wink:

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    Sorry, but why did you include that? I'm just confused. I appreciate it though.

Anyway, I'd like to use the brackets if possible, just because when I write my calculations in Word, a subscript '1/3' looks kind of weird to me, because it doesn't look like 1 over 3.

Thanks

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The parentheses won't hurt anything. Go ahead and use them.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Because if [tex]\log_ab=x[/tex] and [tex]\log_{1/a}b=-x[/tex] then [tex]\log_{1/a}b=-\log_ab[/tex] hence you can change your log expressions from [itex]\log_{1/7}3[/itex] to [itex]-\log_73[/itex]

7. Jun 18, 2012 #6
    Oh great, thanks to both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook