Can I use Master Theorem if the partitions are not fractions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
zeion
Messages
455
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



If I had a recurrence expression that recurs on partitions of size n - 1 each time, (as opposed some fraction of the original size ie. n/2), how can I apply the Master Theorem? I don't know what the "b" value is?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



ie. If I had 2 C(n-1) + f(n), what is b?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You can not use the Master Theorem in this case, just use the recursion tree method. In this case it is easy to see that it will be exponential, since each level has twice the number of nodes of the previous level.
 
Max.Planck said:
You can not use the Master Theorem in this case, just use the recursion tree method. In this case it is easy to see that it will be exponential, since each level has twice the number of nodes of the previous level.

I'm not sure what a recursion tree method is..
I see that each recursion will have twice the calls to the function as the last, but they are also on one less element than the last, does that matter?

Actually nevermind, so if I find a closed form expression it will be 2^n, right?
 
zeion said:
Actually nevermind, so if I find a closed form expression it will be 2^n, right?

Depends on C(0) and f(n). The recursion tree method should be described in your textbook.
 
Oh I see. It says that f(n) is constant. But it doesn't say what C(0) is.