1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partition Coefficient and Retardation Factor

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

engineering.png

2. Relevant equations

Rd = retardation factor = (1 + (ƥbKd / n))

log(Koc) = -0.55logS + 3.64

Kd = Koc*foc

3. The attempt at a solution

Part C is the only part I feel sure on. I simply plugged 1480 mg/L into the log(Koc) equation above to solve for Koc. Then I multiplied Koc by the foc given in the problem statement to obtain Kd. Finally, I plugged Kd in the Rd equation above along with the bulk density of the soil and the soil porosity given, and solved. Seems straight forward enough.

Part A is simply a concept-type question, but I do not know how to relate coefficients to this type of graph shown. Since there is no textbook for the class, I have no way to confirm if I'm right or not in my current thinking. I answered that the partition coefficient would be biggest for solute C and smallest for solute A, because a small partition coefficient would imply it dissolves in water more easily, shown by the graph for solute A reaching equilibrium the quickest. Am I correct here?

Part B is the oddest for me. At first I thought it was giving me the Rd of solute A so that I could plug in and solve for Kd, then use that Kd for the solute B to solve for its Rd. However, plugging in 1 for Rd gives a Kd of 0, so it must not be the right method. So, I simply compared the times it took solute A and solute B, and multiplied solute A's Rd by the same factor. So since 3.5 hours is 1.75x more than 2 hours, I did (1 * 1.75) = 1.75 for the Rd of solute B. I'm sure this method is totally wrong, but I have no references to find the right way, so any help would be much appreciated.

One thing that immediately lets me know I'm wrong somewhere is that I never used the 20 cm length given in the problem statement. Is this somehow used to find solute B's Rd?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted