1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I use root-sum-square for this sort of problem?

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This isn't actually a problem I came across in a textbook, but close enough. Let's say I have a rod made of n sections. Each section has a 3-simga manufacturing uncertainty of +/- some value normally distributed about the mean. What is the uncertainty of the final length of the assembled rod?

2. Relevant equations
    Root-sum-square equation

3. The attempt at a solution
    My thought is to simply plug in each of the uncertainties into the root-sum-square equation to get the final uncertainty on the length of the assembles rod. I'm not entirely confident in this as I only ever recall that equation being applied to measurements, although I see this problem as being analogous. Assuming, the equation does apply, does the final answer maintain the 3-sigma uncertainty on the length of the rod?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If by '3-sigma uncertainty = x' you just mean that the std dev is x/3, and the lengths of the sections are assumed to be independent (which is a questionable assumption in a manufacturing process), then the answer is Yes.

However 'terms like '3-sigma uncertainty' are often understood to imply a certain percentile of the distribution. For a normal dist, 99.73% of points lie within 3-sigma of the mean. The 3-sigma figure obtained by summing the squares and then square rotting will not necessarily still be a 99.73 percentile if the distribution of section lengths is not normal, because most non-normal distributions are not additive - ie the distribution changes shape upon addition. So if a percentile/confidence level is implied and the distribution of section lengths is not normal, the answer is No.

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If section ##i## has 3-sigma uncertainty ##u_i##, then (presumably) it has 1-sigma uncertainty ##u_i/3##, so the standard deviation is ##\sigma_i = u_i/3##. If the uncertainties in the individual sections are "independent"---which you are claiming is the case---then the variance in the final length is
    [tex] \sigma^2 = \sum_{i=1}^n \sigma_i^2 = \frac{1}{9} \sum_{i=1}^n u_i^2 [/tex]
    Therefore, the standard deviation of the total length is
    [tex] \sigma = \frac{1}{3} \sqrt{ \sum_{i=1}^n u_i^2}. [/tex]
    So, yes, indeed, the 3-sigma uncertainty in the total length is ##u = \sqrt{\sum_i u_i^2},## as you want.

For more on this, Google "variance of sum".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted