Can inactivity or to much inactivity give you diabetes?

• Thread starter timeuser84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diabetes
In summary, the person discussing their experience with managing their diabetes through diet and exercise, mentioning that walking 6 miles a day has helped keep their HBA1C levels in check. They also point out that weight is not a factor in type 1 diabetes, but is a risk factor for type 2. They also mention that walking in Bavaria, Germany was a pleasant experience with little traffic.
timeuser84
If so then how much would it have to be to give you diabetes?

Biology news on Phys.org
In my case, yes. About a decade ago, when my HBA1C started to climb, I tried to make accommodations by changing my diet. I quickly discovered that wasn't enough. No diet that could hold my HBA1C in place would be anything that I would want to stick to for years or decades. So I increased my walking. I walk at least 6 miles a day. That allows me to have an okay diet and has brought my HBA1C well clear of diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Likes pinball1970 and berkeman
timeuser84 said:
If so then how much would it have to be to give you diabetes?
Please remember that we cannot offer medical advice here on PF. In general the best thing to do is use some Google searching and look for hits for very reputable sources like the one below. The short answer to your question is that for Type-1 Diabetes, no. For Type-2 Diabetes, inactivity is a risk factor:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/symptoms-causes/syc-20371444

Causes of type 1 diabetes

The exact cause of type 1 diabetes is unknown. What is known is that your immune system — which normally fights harmful bacteria or viruses — attacks and destroys your insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. This leaves you with little or no insulin. Instead of being transported into your cells, sugar builds up in your bloodstream.

Type 1 is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic susceptibility and environmental factors, though exactly what those factors are is still unclear. Weight is not believed to be a factor in type 1 diabetes.

Causes of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes

In prediabetes — which can lead to type 2 diabetes — and in type 2 diabetes, your cells become resistant to the action of insulin, and your pancreas is unable to make enough insulin to overcome this resistance. Instead of moving into your cells where it's needed for energy, sugar builds up in your bloodstream.

Exactly why this happens is uncertain, although it's believed that genetic and environmental factors play a role in the development of type 2 diabetes too. Being overweight is strongly linked to the development of type 2 diabetes, but not everyone with type 2 is overweight.

Likes Laroxe
berkeman said:
risk factor
Those are important words. "Cause" is way too strong - some things increase your probability and some decrease it. But it's still probabilistic. (Same with cancer, hypertension, etc.)

Likes Bystander, BillTre, berkeman and 1 other person
Thanks for all who took the time to reply, much appreciated

Likes berkeman
.Scott said:
I walk at least 6 miles a day.
Is that legal in the US?

• Haha
Likes Tom.G
PeroK said:
Is that legal in the US?
As long as its in miles and not kilometers.
But more seriously, on a business trip to Kitzingen Germany several years ago, I discover that that part of Bavaria was really good for walking. In addition to the public roads (with light traffic), there are farm roads everywhere with no traffic. It was pretty pleasant to walk from town to town.

Likes PeroK

1. Can being inactive increase my risk of developing diabetes?

Yes, studies have shown that a sedentary lifestyle, or lack of physical activity, can increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This is because regular physical activity helps regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.

2. How much physical activity is necessary to prevent diabetes?

The American Diabetes Association recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise, such as brisk walking, five days a week to help prevent diabetes. However, any amount of physical activity is better than none.

3. Can inactivity alone cause diabetes?

No, inactivity alone cannot cause diabetes. However, it can increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes if you have other risk factors such as a family history, being overweight, or having high blood pressure.

4. Can too much inactivity lead to diabetes?

Yes, too much inactivity can increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This is because prolonged periods of sitting or inactivity can negatively affect your body's ability to regulate blood sugar levels and use insulin effectively.

5. Is it possible to reverse the effects of inactivity on diabetes risk?

Yes, incorporating regular physical activity into your daily routine can help reduce your risk of developing diabetes, even if you have a sedentary job or lifestyle. It is never too late to start being physically active and reap the benefits for your overall health.