Glucose structure and insulin resistance

• Thread starter mktsgm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glucose
mktsgm
TL;DR Summary
Is there a link between the structure of the glucose and the uptake of glucose into cells
I have a doubt about the process of type-2 diabetes.

It is said that insulin resistance leads to type-2 diabetes. That would mean, even in the presence of insulin, the glucose uptake into the cells does not take place, leading to hyperglycemia.

My doubt is, how could this happen in spite of the presence of insulin?

Could it be something that is structurally wrong with the circulating glucose itself? For example, what happens, if the structure of glucose is changed somehow?

I gather that glucose can exist in different forms such as straight-chain and cyclic ring forms. In cyclic forms also it can be in different isomers such as α-D-glucopyranose, β-D-glucopyranose, α-D-glucofuranose, and β-D-glucofuranose. Also, glucose can convert to mannose also.

I want to know if these structural changes, have anything to do with glucose refusing to enter the cells. Is there any way to detect the changes in the circulating glucose whose uptake is in question?

I would be grateful if any published scientific papers in this regard are shared here.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
mktsgm said:
TL;DR Summary: Is there a link between the structure of the glucose and the uptake of glucose into cells

I have a doubt about the process of type-2 diabetes.

It is said that insulin resistance leads to type-2 diabetes. That would mean, even in the presence of insulin, the glucose uptake into the cells does not take place, leading to hyperglycemia.

My doubt is, how could this happen in spite of the presence of insulin?

Could it be something that is structurally wrong with the circulating glucose itself? For example, what happens, if the structure of glucose is changed somehow?

I gather that glucose can exist in different forms such as straight-chain and cyclic ring forms. In cyclic forms also it can be in different isomers such as α-D-glucopyranose, β-D-glucopyranose, α-D-glucofuranose, and β-D-glucofuranose. Also, glucose can convert to mannose also.

I want to know if these structural changes, have anything to do with glucose refusing to enter the cells. Is there any way to detect the changes in the circulating glucose whose uptake is in question?

I would be grateful if any published scientific papers in this regard are shared here.

Thanks
I would review what is known about pancreas function first. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867580/

Likes Bystander
pinball1970 said:
I would review what is known about pancreas function first. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5867580/
Thanks for the referral. I am quite familiar with the pancreas function.

And just now, while searching for answers to my question, I came across this link.

Anomeric Nature of Glucose and Its Implications

Perhaps this paper is nearly discussing something similar to my doubt "Anomeric Nature of Glucose and Its Implications..."

It discusses the anomers' ratio (between alpha and beta D glucose) with regard to the measurement of glucose.

My doubt lingers if it can somehow relate to the glucose uptake. Just a thought...

It has nothing to do with the structure of glucose, as the two anomers of glucopyranose interconvert rapidly under physiological conditions. Instead, it has to do with the disruption of the pathway that's activated when insulin binds to cellular insulin receptors.

In simple terms: glucose can't cross the cell membrane passively, so in order to get glucose into cells, insulin has to bind to receptors on the outside of those cells. When insulin binds these receptors, it activates a biochemical chain of events which causes the cell to produce proteins that transport glucose across the membrane and into the cell. Insulin resistance occurs when this chain of events gets disrupted. The exact nature of this disruption--which link in the chain gets broken--is still unclear, but there are a number of theories. See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_resistance#Molecular_mechanism

• Informative
Likes Laroxe, berkeman, DaveC426913 and 1 other person

What is the basic structure of glucose?

Glucose is a simple sugar with the molecular formula C6H12O6. It is a monosaccharide with six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms, and six oxygen atoms. In its common cyclic form, glucose can exist as either alpha or beta glucose, which differ in the orientation of the hydroxyl group attached to the first carbon atom.

How does glucose relate to insulin in the body?

Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that plays a crucial role in glucose metabolism. When glucose levels in the blood rise, such as after eating, the pancreas releases insulin. Insulin facilitates the uptake of glucose by cells, where it is used for energy production, or stored as glycogen in liver and muscle cells for later use.

What is insulin resistance and how does it develop?

Insulin resistance is a condition where the body's cells become less responsive to the hormone insulin. This results in impaired glucose uptake by the cells, leading to higher blood glucose levels. Insulin resistance can develop due to genetic factors, obesity, lack of physical activity, and poor diet, among other factors. Over time, it can lead to type 2 diabetes and other metabolic disorders.

How does the structure of glucose influence its role in insulin resistance?

The structure of glucose itself does not directly influence insulin resistance. However, the consumption of excessive amounts of glucose can lead to higher blood glucose levels, which over time can contribute to the development of insulin resistance. The body's ability to handle glucose efficiently is crucial in managing and preventing insulin resistance.

Are there ways to reverse or manage insulin resistance?

Yes, insulin resistance can be managed or even reversed through several lifestyle changes. Regular physical activity, a balanced diet low in simple sugars and high in fiber, maintaining a healthy weight, and managing stress levels can all contribute to improved insulin sensitivity. In some cases, medications may also be prescribed to help manage glucose levels and insulin sensitivity.