Can Intercalation of Hydrogen Ions Solve the Problem of Hydrogen Storage?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Stanley514
Messages
404
Reaction score
2
There exist such interesting issue as intercalation, which seems to allow, for example, to store
4.4 intercalated Li ions per one (!) Silicon atom.The latest is a host material.I think if there will be found a material which would allow to store the same ratio of intercalated hydrogen ions (protons)
per host material,any problem with hydrogen storage would be solved.
Does anybody knows what is difference between intercalation of ions and intercalation of atoms?
Is it different things?Or intercalation of ions is similar to ionic compound such as NCl ?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I don't think I've even heard the term 'intercalation' before (any chemists here know it?), it seems to be a term used for DNA mostly. The usual, more general term is 'coordination'.

Anyway, issues with hydrogen storage usually refer to storing H2, not protons.
 
I don't think I've even heard the term 'intercalation' before

That`s strange.It seems that action of every Li-ion battery is based on this process.
Li ions are intercalated and migrate between different materials.
Some scientist believe that even such thing possible as breathing Li-ion battery.
Instead of migration Li-ions will react with oxigen in air and form Li oxide.
Nanowire battery is based on intercalation of Li ions in Silicon:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/NEA/archive/200008/108677/"
Also there exist proton-polymer battery created by NEC:
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/NEA/archive/200008/108677/"
It seems to be based on intercalation of protons.
Currently it has great power density but low energy density.I would be interested to know
if it is problems of protons intercalation or just question of finding proper material.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stanley514 said:
That`s strange.It seems that action of every Li-ion battery is based on this process.

It's not the physical phenomena I haven't heard of, it's the specific term 'intercalation' to describe it. I would suggest you use the term 'coordination' when talking about metal ions or protons. That's the usual, specific, term for that.
 
In all articles about Li ion batteries I met, this process is mentioned as intercalation,
never as coordination:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery"
 
Last edited by a moderator: