Can Isosceles Triangles Solve This Geometry Problem?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses trying and failing to solve a math problem involving ratios and isosceles triangles. It is determined that there is not enough information provided to solve the problem, and an additional fact is needed. The conversation also mentions the position of a point and the lengths of two sides being uniquely determined. Finally, the conversation mentions the problem being solved on a different platform.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 5803
I tried about an hour to solve this but couldn't get the ratios to work I assume there are isoseles triangles in this but that is just observation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 68
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I do not believe that there is enough information here to provide a solution. You need an additional fact, such as for example the length of the sides of the square.

The point $P$ must lie on an Apollonius circle with its centre on the line $BD$. (That is the set of all points for which the distances $PD$ and $PB$ are in the ratio 5 to 6.)

The area of the triangle $APC$ is half the diagonal $AC$ times the distance of $P$ from $AC$. But unless you know the length of that diagonal you cannot fix the position of $P$ or the lengths $PB$ and $PD$.

Edit. ILS's neat solution below shows that I was wrong. I was trying to determine the position of the point $P$, and it's true that this cannot be determined without further information. But the lengths $PB$ and $PD$ are uniquely determined, which I find quite surprising.

Last edited:
Sorry Opalg, I'm afraid I have to disagree. (Wink)

Let's say the square has side $s$.
Let's pick $A$ at the origin $O$.
And lets' pick $P=(p,q)$.
Then $A=(0,0), B=(s,0), C=(s,s), D=(0,s)$.

The triangle $ACP$ has area:
$$\frac 12 \| \vec{AP} \times \vec{AC} \| = \frac 12 \| \vec{OP} \times \vec{OC} \| = \frac 12 |ps-qs| = 19 \tag 1$$
The other equations yield:
$$PD=15x \quad\Rightarrow\quad p^2 + (s-q)^2 = (15x)^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad p^2+q^2+s^2 - 2qs = 225x^2 \tag 2$$
$$PB=18x \quad\Rightarrow\quad (s-p)^2 + q^2 = (18x)^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad p^2+q^2+s^2 - 2ps = 324x^2 \tag 3$$

Subtract $(2)$ from $(3)$:
$$-2ps + 2qs = 99x^2$$

Combine with $(1)$:
$$4 \cdot 19 = 99x^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad x = \sqrt{\frac{4\cdot 19}{99}} = \frac 23\sqrt{\frac{19}{11}}$$

wow thank you

I spent another 2 hours on this but couldn't make those conections

I found this on G+ but everyone was giving up. but here it got solved.😎

Related to Can Isosceles Triangles Solve This Geometry Problem?

1. What are the steps for solving a geometry problem?

The steps for solving a geometry problem typically involve identifying any given information, drawing a diagram, using known formulas and theorems, and applying logical reasoning to arrive at a solution.

2. How do I know which formula or theorem to use?

To determine which formula or theorem to use, you must carefully read the problem and identify any given information. Then, you can refer to your geometry textbook or notes to find the appropriate formula or theorem to apply.

3. What is the importance of drawing a diagram in solving a geometry problem?

Drawing a diagram is crucial in solving a geometry problem because it helps you visualize the problem and identify any given information. It also allows you to apply geometric principles and make logical deductions to arrive at a solution.

4. How do I check if my solution to a geometry problem is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by plugging in the values from the problem into your formula or theorem and solving for the unknown variable. If the result matches your solution, then it is likely correct.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a geometry problem?

If you are stuck on a geometry problem, take a step back and review any given information, as well as the formulas and theorems that may be relevant. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking help from a teacher or classmate.