Is the Given Equality True Only for an Isosceles Triangle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the equation given is a monotonically increasing function on the domain of the given triangle.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
In the triangle ABC, the following equality holds:

$\displaystyle \sin^{23}\left(\frac{A}{2}\right) \cos^{48} \left(\frac{B}{2}\right)=\sin^{23} \left(\frac {B}{2}\right) \cos^{48} \left(\frac {A}{2}\right)$

Determine the value of $\dfrac {AC}{BC}$.

Hi all, the huge values of the exponents make me cringe to try to solve the problem. I want to ask if this is obvious that one of the possibilities is that the given equality is true iff the measures of both the angles A and B are equal. Is this true? That is, we're dealing with an isosceles triangle where $\dfrac {AC}{BC}=1$?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
In the triangle ABC, the following equality holds:

$\displaystyle \sin^{23}\left(\frac{A}{2}\right) \cos^{48} \left(\frac{B}{2}\right)=\sin^{23} \left(\frac {B}{2}\right) \cos^{48} \left(\frac {A}{2}\right)$

Determine the value of $\dfrac {AC}{BC}$.

Hi all, the huge values of the exponents make me cringe to try to solve the problem. I want to ask if this is obvious that one of the possibilities is that the given equality is true iff the measures of both the angles A and B are equal. Is this true? That is, we're dealing with an isosceles triangle where $\dfrac {AC}{BC}=1$?

Hey anemone! (Malthe)

Let's rewrite that equation a bit.
$$\frac{\cos^{48} \left(\frac {A}{2}\right)}{\sin^{23}\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)}=\frac{ \cos^{48} \left(\frac{B}{2}\right)}{\sin^{23} \left(\frac {B}{2}\right)}$$
(Note that the denominator will not be zero if the angles are between $0$ and $\pi$.)

The left hand side and right hand side both represent the same function.
If that function is invertible (strictly monotonous) on its domain, that means that A and B have to be the same.
When we analyze that function (or graph it with Wolfram) we see indeed that it is monotonous on $(0,\pi)$ which is the range of the angle in a triangle.

So yes, it is an isosceles triangle with AC=BC.

I like Serena said:
Hey anemone! (Malthe)

Let's rewrite that equation a bit.
$$\frac{\cos^{48} \left(\frac {A}{2}\right)}{\sin^{23}\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)}=\frac{ \cos^{48} \left(\frac{B}{2}\right)}{\sin^{23} \left(\frac {B}{2}\right)}$$
(Note that the denominator will not be zero if the angles are between $0$ and $\pi$.)

The left hand side and right hand side both represent the same function.
If that function is invertible (strictly monotonous) on its domain, that means that A and B have to be the same.
When we analyze that function (or graph it with Wolfram) we see indeed that it is monotonous on $(0,\pi)$ which is the range of the angle in a triangle.

So yes, it is an isosceles triangle with AC=BC.

Thanks, I like Serena...I understand what you say and I appreciate your response to my post! :)

Related to Is the Given Equality True Only for an Isosceles Triangle?

1. What does AC/BC mean?

AC/BC refers to the ratio of the length of the side opposite angle A to the length of the side opposite angle B in a right triangle. It is also known as the tangent ratio.

2. How do you determine the value of AC/BC?

To determine the value of AC/BC, you need to measure the lengths of the sides AC and BC in a right triangle and then divide the length of AC by the length of BC.

3. What is the significance of AC/BC in trigonometry?

AC/BC is one of the fundamental trigonometric ratios used to solve problems involving right triangles. It helps in finding missing sides or angles in a triangle, as well as in real-life applications such as calculating heights and distances.

4. Can the value of AC/BC be greater than 1?

Yes, the value of AC/BC can be greater than 1. This means that the length of side AC is longer than the length of side BC, and the angle A is larger than angle B in the right triangle.

5. How does the value of AC/BC affect the size of angles A and B?

The value of AC/BC does not directly affect the size of angles A and B. However, it can be used to determine the size of these angles through the use of inverse trigonometric functions such as arctan.