Can lactose cause hypoglycemia?

• Medical
  • Thread starter treehouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cause
In summary, the conversation was about the benefits of exercise and how it can improve physical and mental health. The participants discussed different types of exercises and the importance of finding an activity that one enjoys. They also mentioned the importance of setting achievable goals and gradually increasing the intensity of workouts. Overall, the conversation highlighted the numerous benefits of incorporating exercise into one's daily routine.
treehouse
Lactose has a huge insulinemic index for its glycemic index.* Since insulin lowers blood sugar and the glycemic index is a measurement of how fast a glycemic load raises blood sugar, could lactose cause hypoglycemia?

*http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/1/96.full

Biology news on Phys.org
This thread caught my interest because I have a problem with drowsiness and its been suggested that I may have hypoglycemia and this drowsiness seems to come on after I eat dairy products. Drowsiness isn't one of the symptoms normally associated with lactose intolerance but its the main symptom I seem to get after eating dairy.

1. Can lactose cause hypoglycemia?

Yes, lactose can cause hypoglycemia in individuals with lactose intolerance or lactose malabsorption. This is because the body is unable to break down lactose into glucose, leading to a decrease in blood sugar levels.

2. What are the symptoms of hypoglycemia caused by lactose?

The symptoms of hypoglycemia caused by lactose can include weakness, dizziness, confusion, sweating, headache, and fatigue. In severe cases, it can also lead to seizures or loss of consciousness.

3. How common is hypoglycemia caused by lactose?

Hypoglycemia caused by lactose is more common in individuals with lactose intolerance or lactose malabsorption. It is estimated that around 65% of the world's population has some degree of lactose intolerance.

4. Can hypoglycemia caused by lactose be prevented?

Yes, hypoglycemia caused by lactose can be prevented by avoiding or limiting the consumption of lactose-containing foods. It is also important to properly manage lactose intolerance or lactose malabsorption through dietary changes or enzyme supplements.

5. How is hypoglycemia caused by lactose diagnosed?

Hypoglycemia caused by lactose can be diagnosed through a combination of symptoms, medical history, and diagnostic tests such as a lactose tolerance test or hydrogen breath test. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis.