Can Magnetic Fields Purify Water for Reuse in a CO2 Scrubber?

  • Thread starter Thread starter nst.john
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Magnets Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
nst.john
Messages
163
Reaction score
1
I'm looking to make a CO2 scrubber for a school project and I was wondering if I can purify water to re-use it with magnetic fields. The ions would be K+ and CO3-2.

If this can be done can you explain what variables I have to look into to make sure it works, some variables I thought of was attration of ions and water, force of water flow, and the type of magnet used.

If you can give me your feedback and advice that would be great! Thanks!
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, but no.

Yes - moving charges in the magnetic field are shifted to sides (google for Lorentz force), no, forces acting on these charges are way too low to be used for practical desalination.
 
Ok what about positive and negatively charged plates?