Can Measurable Sets Be Written as Disjoint Union of Countable Collection?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


I am working through a theorem on necessary and sufficient conditions for a set to be measurable and came across the following claim used in the proof: Let ##E## be measurable and ##m^*(E) = \infty##. Then ##E## can be written as a disjoint union of a countable collection of measurable sets, each of which have a finite outer measure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



I am not really sure where to begin. I have searched through my book and haven't found any theorem/lemma even remotely like this. Is this lemma used part of more general theorem? If so, what does that theorem look like? I did a google search and couldn't find anything.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Let ##E## be measurable and ##m^*(E) = \infty##. Then ##E## can be written as a disjoint union of a countable collection of measurable sets, each of which have a finite outer measure.
Is this even true in full generality? I don't think so: What happens when your measure space consists of a single point ##x## such that ##E = \{x\}## has infinite measure?
 
Krylov said:
Is this even true in full generality? I don't think so: What happens when your measure space consists of a single point ##x## such that ##E = \{x\}## has infinite measure?

I am not sure...I have just begun studying measure theory. I sure hope it's true, otherwise I am going to need to contact Royden and Fitzpatrick! I checked my book again, and that is the very lemma they are using in their proof.